• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1438 posts
  • Avias
  • DN, Holywood
  • Necromancer who cannot necro his own account - Mantou

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:38 PM

Hi everyone,

This is a simple guide that I hope will help players effectively identify scams of any sort in Dragon Nest SEA. Aside from identifying some key aspects on defending youself from scams/cons, I will also share some common scenarios for reference.

*Before I go any further please take note of the following:
  • Inb4 TL:DR (for those who think this is too long to read) just read teh stuff that are bold and has yellow highlight
  • f you think you are already PRO and/or feel that you are in no danger of being outsmarted by scammers, then feel free to skip this read
  • I will only be covering scams/cons and some examples account hacks due to leak of login information
  • I will not be able to cover in-game bugs because that is a totally different topic.
  • Any scenario/most of the content mentioned below might have already been posted on the abuse report section of the forums (http://forum.cherryc...7-abuse-report/) so I do not take any credits for sharing those scenarios
Introduction

Let's face it, it can't be helped. There will always be a percentage of players that are willing to cross some lines in order to steal in-game currency/items, and this exists on any MMO-RPG and DN SEA is not an exception.  So the next best thing we as players can do is be vigilant/detect/avoid these other players and tend to scam us.

So how do we do that exacty? IMO there are only a few basic concepts in which scamming revolves around and they are namely the following:

I. Never give anything for free

Okay, now some of you who's reading this might say, 'wtf?! I'm not that stupid'. But the thing is, scammers usually use scenarios in which you are compelled to give your end of the bargain first, before he gives his end of the bargain. Which in the end, if the bargain you made was indeed a scam, you essentially gave your end of the bargain for free.

Common Scenarios:
  • 'Need to borrow 300 gold, i'll pay you back 400 later' (this might be obvious but some players might be young/naive enough to fall for this)
  • 'I'll trade you 10k CC for 1.2k G, i'll PM you the PIN number after you pay me' (plus trading CC directly to gold is illegal) ~Plus DNP (almost as good as CC) can now be bought using the Trading House
  • 'Trading my gold here in Holywood to your gold in Westwood' (plus any trade of gold this way is also illegal)
  • 'The item you are looking for is in my other character, pay me on this character and I will login my other character to give you the item'
  • 'Can I borrow some rough agates, I need to upgrade my weapon' (Will most probably say this to tons of people and sell it afterwards) this is stupid but it might happen
  • 'Trading my SKILL RESET CUPON CODE FOR 900 G/ SELLING 30 SLOT BAGS FOR 650 G' (AS matter of fact, any scenario where CC items are being sold outside of the trading house should be avoided at all cost) - As a matter of fact, given the DNP system, CC items such as Trading House Premiums, Costumes and inventory/storage slot extenders can now be purchased using DNP which in turn can be purchased via TH (as DNP cupons). So there's really no sense trading CC items outside TH

FrancoisLeBlanc, on 2012-05-12 09:58:27, said:

Posted Image
PAWNT.
  • 'S>something, but need seal for it so you provide the seal' (Will ask for gold from you to buy seal for the item you are buying from him and will probably leave you after gold is taken)
Bottom line, In all instances, trading should be done with instantaneous payment and as much as possible thru the TRADING HOUSE

Edit: Pro tip by Master_Kajak: If  you don't have trading house premium and are already at trading limit for the week 0/30, use a secondary character (Send the items via mail (We have 5 per day) or pass thru a friend then to your secondary character or if have another pc to use, create another account and pass it there for selling)

II. If it's way too good to be true, it most probably is a scam

Many of us wants the easy gold/cheapest prices (I mean who doesn't right? ) and sometimes we might find traders shouting prices that are just too damn good to overlook, especially to those who do 'buy and sell' as a main source of gold in the game. As much enticing a trade maybe, I'd say 98% of those 'too good to be true' prices are scams.

Common Scenarios:

-You see someone shouting that they are selling epic intermediate diamond codes for 140 gold each (take note that estimate current market price is around 180-200 i think) ~ but to further explain please see this post  http://forum.cherryc...ge__hl__diamond

-Someone(scammer) shouts he wants to buy something for a slightly high price than how it is sold in TH. You actually get tricked by buying something in TH for a very high price (The scammer placed the item in TH) in hopes to selling it to the person shouting (even a higher price) for that item.  (Which he obviously will not buy from you)

III. Triple check your trades

This really fairly simple but quite often ignored. Not just becuase there is a 'Register' and 'OK' button (dual confirmation authentication), doesn't mean that it is still 100% sure that you won't be cheated on what you are trading.   Always make sure to triple check your items before pressing 'OK'. There is really only one scenario that I can think of that applies to this and that's the 'Trade Glitch' scenario (To further explain, plese see the trade with apoc ring done in this tread http://forum.cherryc...tch#entry945877)

Things to consider to with regards to trade glitches:
1.  Some item icons looks the same (e.g. EPIC CODES LOOKS THE SAME (low/intermediate/high) http://forum.cherryc...l__trading scam) ~ This is specially important when trading very expensive RINGS WITH PERFECT POTENTIALS (love)as the item icons for that are the same (with or without potential)

2.  Be carefull when dealing with amounts (e.g. a person selling you 2000 comet dusts might end up giving you just 200 after you press register, same goes with gold, 20000 gold for a perfect pot rev apoc ring might end up being just 2000 after you press register)

3.  And most importantly, don't rush trades, take your time to look at the item being traded again and again and again, after pressing REGISTER and before pressing OK.

• Pro tip: Click Register first in order to see the 'the other party has made changes to the trade' whenever an item/amount is changed by the person you are trading with
  • Really Pro tip: Don't be distracted by chat comming from the trader, and don't let him rush you to press OK (Although rushing you is a really big sign that he is trying to scam you so best to back away from the trade as soon as possible)
  • UBER PRO TIP: When you have closed a deal, have the item put in TH instead of trading it personally
UPDATE: Due to the recent increase of scams due to the TRADE GLITCH, PLEASE USE THE UBER PRO TIP when trading instead of direct trade when trading with strangers

IV. Always inspect the character you are trading with

Why? Because most of the time, smarter scammers don't use their main accounts when scamming, since they would not want to risk their main character being banned,   so they use alternate accounts to do the dirty work instead. So just ask yourself, why the hell would someone name their character 'MrDealer' or 'TheFarmer' or 'Tony123'? and while we are at it, why the hell would they have good useful stuff to sell/gold to trade with, when their equips/level are just crap?

Now this might not apply to all and clearly is more subjective.   Clearly I am in no position to judge characters by their names and equipments, I'm just saying it's a good precaution to be observant and extra careful in trading when you have that gut feel about the character/person you are trading with

V. Trust in general

Trust is also very subjective. Let's say for example I was with a random player in Manticore, the two of us finished all 5 runs, talked a bit about stuff, and become 'online buddies'. This happens in the span of just one day. The next day he asks me if he could borrow 500 g, would I lend it to him? No.  But then again that is just my subjective view. As much as there are a lot of scammers out there, there are also good hearted/trustworthy players, it is up to you to decide on who to trust.

In the end, as much as possible use the TH for trading.  There might be times (alot actually) that prices in TH are overpriced and that is where we tend to find traders who are willing to trade us for the items we need for a much reasonable price.  This is where proper observation of trading is most needed.

VI. Use the Trading House (This is new content)

Clearly all of what I've said can be avoided if you always, AND I MEAN ALWAYS (as much as you possibly can :P) trade using the trading house   So here are some tips to consider when using the Trading House
  • Never put most of you're gold on your active Inventory (Place your savings on the storage)  Now why would you want to do this?   This is because you might buy stuff with the wrong price   How? Some people sometimes put absurd prices for items and if its a person using Trading house premium, that item will directly be on top of the cheapest price being sold without the TH premium. THERE IS NO TURNING BACK if you click that item and confirm buying it (by mistake especially if you did not notice the proper paging of the items).   So it's better to put most of your gold in the storage to safeguard yourself from this mistake (Since not having enough gold in your inventory will cancel the purchase on TH (up) )
  • For those who does not have TH premium and usually runs out of trades per week (30 TH sale per week limit), Try making a new character, or a new CC account in order to have another 30 TH sell limit in another character. To pass items, simply use your 5 mail limit per day (:]) (Since there are really only a few use for this) or if you have a trustworthy friend, Pass the items to him/her and then to your alternate character (:])

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
VII. Misc~Account Hacks

1. Scam websites

The purpose of these websites are simple: get in to your account, get everything with value in it, and leave your **** stripped of your items/gold (maybe even use your characters for advertising hacks/scams/free gold, etc) :lol: . It is really important especially if you do not have proper protection for your computer, to not even go to these websites. There is a big chance that even if you don't enter any details to these website, keyloggers, spyware can access your computer the moment you enter these websites.
A. Free gold (C'mon guys, let's use our heads, why the hell would someone give you gold for free? )
B. Trainner/Leveling services (C'mon guys, even if this is legit, you are practically ruinning your experience of the game. )
C. 'Official' DN SEA/Cherry Credits websites (There is only one place that you should login using your browser, and that is at https://user.cherrycredits.com/login)

For for any reason you would need to use your cherrycredits credentials be sure to check these two details:

-Name of the website
(again if I am not mistaken, the only place that you should login in terms of web browsers is at https://user.cherrycredits.com/login)

-Verfied SSL certificate
Okay, now some you might think 'SSL? WTF IS THAT CRAP?', so I'm going to make this as simple as possible. FAKE LOGIN WEBSITES WILL NEVER HAVE A VERIFIED SSL CERTIFICATE (HTTPS:// PREFIX) . fakes will usually only have http:// or a non verfied certificate https:// at best. (although I also doubt this).

How will you know this? At your browser, click on the white box on the left side of the address bar of your browser (firefox)/ the green lock icon on the left side of the address bar (google chrome.) and yes GTFO internet explorer users, The correct/legit login should contain something like this: 'The identity of this website has been verified by DigiCert High Assurance CA-3.'. If you have further questions with regards to this, either google it, wikipedia it, or ask me. (;])

-THE ONLY LOGIN DETAILS THAT SHOULD EVER BE PROVIDED

There are only two details that will ever be asked of you when you login to https://user.cherrycredits.com/login And these are the following:
  • CherryCredits username/registered email to CherryCredits
  • First/Primary Password
On the other hand, a phishing/fake site will probably ask for other details. So if you see this, GTFO of that site. (You shouldn't even be there to begin with)
  • Second 4 digit password
  • Username/email as separate input fields.
Example/demonstration (Please open the images on another tab to enlarge )

-This is the legit login screen

Posted Image

-THIS ON THE OTHER HAND IS A SAMPLE FAKE SITE

Posted Image

and wow this even has updated patch news/events like the legit site

Posted Image

but in the end this proves to be a scam because of the following...

Posted Image

2. Scammers pretending to be GMs
Simple point and I cannot stress this enough, GMs/Admins/Moderators will never ask for your passwords... ever :angry:

Edit: For reference here is a list of GMs for the game
http://forum.cherryc...ame master list

3. Notices/emails/PM that requires login information

Again as I have said, no 'official' notice will ever ask for passwords. IGN (In game account)  will be asked at most, but never security details such as secondary passwords/birthdays/secret questions and answers. :o .

CCHelper, on 2012-04-19 20:10:36, said:

please do take note that Cherry Credits staff will never ask you for your account login details.

Two scenarios to which this applies (scams to get your security details):
- 'You will get banned if you don't email back your security details' (e.g http://forum.cherryc...al-information/ )

- 'You can join our official tournament but you need to login to this url...'

Update: Sample fake email

jtgh79, on 2012-04-06 08:48:29, said:

Dear Sir/Madam,
i recieve an email from dn.cherrycredits@gmail.com requesting  information like this (show below)
Hello Dragon Nest players,

Good day to you. We have received many reports about lagging and dc's of Dragon Nest online.This is because too many accounts are registered in our database. We will delete all INACTIVE account to make Dragon Nest Online stable. Please fill up this form:

Login ID:
Password:
4-Digit PIN:
6-Digit PIN:
Server:
Character name:

Registered email address:

Failure to comply will lead to DELETION of your account. Send your account info as soon as you read this message. We are doing our best to make Dragon Nest online stable. Thank you and have a nice day.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Source: http://forum.cherryc...page__hl__gmail  

Please feel free to add more details, comments, correction to my statements if applicable to your preferences. I am willing to answer questions and/or provide explanations, so do feel free to ask me at this tread The reason why I placed this in the general discussion instead of the Abuse Report category is because, only a few people visit the abuse report category,mostly those who have been hacked/scammed visit that category. I am placing this here, so that more people can read it, especially those who are new to the game/ new to MMOs / younger players. Preventing scams is far more better/easier than trying to get back items from being scammed (which is most of the time impossible btw)  

Sources/good reads:
http://forum.cherryc...mer-and-hacker/
   http://forum.cherryc...-to-avoid-them/

Disclaimers:

1. I've been playing different MMO RPGs (international/local servers) for the past 8 years and I'm just sharing concepts/knoweldge gained from those years of experience

2. To all the scammers reading this, if I just busted your operations, haters gonna hate

Edited by iAvias, 29 May 2013 - 09:39 PM.

#2 Esquevella

Esquevella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6884 posts
  • Esquevella
  • DN, Springwood
  • Temporary back to DN, depend on connection availability :v

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:43 PM

Hey, this is good, can I add some of this to my guide later? clap

Thumb up to all scammer fighter.up

#3 iAvias

iAvias

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1438 posts
  • Avias
  • DN, Holywood

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:45 PM

bebekbakarmadu, on 2012-04-16 16:43:09, said:

Hey, this is good, can I add some of this to my guide later? clap

Thumb up to all scammer fighter.up

sure, feel free to do so wink

#4 Lemon

Lemon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4946 posts
  • o0Lemon0o
  • DN, Westwood
  • Onigiri

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:11 PM

This is a really great guide, and you deserve a pat on the back. smile

However, I can assure you that no matter how many guides and tips that are posted on the forums. It's hardly ever the people that reguarly read the forums (or even go on the forums once in awhile) that are the victims of these scams.

The victims are usually people who don't go on the forums, don't read any of this stuff, and only make their threads in the Abuse Report/Account Issues thread when they actually get scammed.

It's kind of like how there's a 2nd password recovery sticky in Account Issues but tons of people just keep posting the question without reading the thread. whewboy

#5 KingBanana

KingBanana

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:13 PM

PINOYS scam and PINOYS are the ones who fall for it.

lol

#6 kert

kert

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:16 PM

upnice guide

#7 iAvias

iAvias

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1438 posts
  • Avias
  • DN, Holywood

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:17 PM

Lemon, on 2012-04-16 17:11:21, said:

This is a really great guide, and you deserve a pat on the back. smile

However, I can assure you that no matter how many guides and tips that are posted on the forums. It's hardly ever the people that reguarly read the forums (or even go on the forums once in awhile) that are the victims of these scams.

The victims are usually people who don't go on the forums, don't read any of this stuff, and only make their threads in the Abuse Report/Account Issues thread when they actually get scammed.

It's kind of like how there's a 2nd password recovery sticky in Account Issues but tons of people just keep posting the question without reading the thread. whewboy

Thanks upThere are much more people who look at the General Discussion, instead of the Abuse Report section, that's why I placed this here, But totally agree, the majory never looks at the forums, unless they encounter problems/scams etc

#8 xEquation

xEquation

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5941 posts
  • PepperPoke | EonKreuz
  • DN, Holywood
  • Phyrexians | Treadstone

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:25 PM

this guide need to be stickied

#9 Esquevella

Esquevella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6884 posts
  • Esquevella
  • DN, Springwood
  • Temporary back to DN, depend on connection availability :v

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:36 PM

I wish this guide is stickied in general discussion, there`s no point if this guide drowned later by another new thread (if I could add : upcoming academic class, there will be hell lot of topics here discussing that). tense

Anyway, I dont mind if people only came to abuse report to report their scam case, at least I`ve could talk them to spread anti-scam method and they could share their scammed experience to their friend, prevent further scam. smile

#10 Tsugumi

Tsugumi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3612 posts
  • QxTsugumi / xMarisa
  • DN, Desmodeus
  • Lolicons / Pedophiles (Quit)

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:40 PM

Need a filipino to translate that into tagalog as well as there are some nice filipinosthat got scammed by fellow w3ws xD

aside to that,
this deserves sticky! up

#11 iAvias

iAvias

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1438 posts
  • Avias
  • DN, Holywood

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:43 PM

bebekbakarmadu, on 2012-04-16 17:36:49, said:

I wish this guide is stickied in general discussion, there`s no point if this guide drowned later by another new thread (if I could add : upcoming academic class, there will be hell lot of topics here discussing that). tense

Anyway, I dont mind if people only came to abuse report to report their scam case, at least I`ve could talk them to spread anti-scam method and they could share their scammed experience to their friend, prevent further scam. smile

There's really tons of scenarios and tips on scamming that can be found in the Abuse Report Section, that is, if you're willing to dig them up (which hell, not many of us are willing to do whewboy). And don't worry, I'll keep self bumping every now and then to keep this on the first page..lol tongueout

#12 iAvias

iAvias

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1438 posts
  • Avias
  • DN, Holywood

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:48 PM

Tsugumi, on 2012-04-16 17:40:56, said:

Need a filipino to translate that into tagalog as well as there are some nice filipinosthat got scammed by fellow w3ws xD

aside to that,
this deserves sticky! up

Thanks, and wow I never thought of that, nice idea wink Well I'm a Filipino myself and I could do a translated version, but I don't think Tagalog guides are encouranged here in DN SEA, maybe when DN PH comes out and a separate forum appears, I'll post the translated version there

#13 Master_Kajack

Master_Kajack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 824 posts
  • Kajack
  • DN, Westwood
  • Oblique

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:57 PM

nice one dude. I'll add tip =X if you don't mind
For those who uses TH with 30slots all the time and don't like to buy CC but uses trade as an option. DONT DO IT you can transfer items to your alt account or do email if you dont have extra pc in your home or a friend nearby you who don't want to help in opening DN launcher in his spare time in net cafe.

#14 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:06 PM

HyperRacist, on 2012-04-16 17:13:13, said:

PINOYS scam and PINOYS are the ones who fall for it.

lol

this guy needs attention pls spare some.... trying to flame all threads he is posting...... tsk tsk

Kuddos to TS great job shared it in my fb for other guildies can read ^_^ thanks

#15 iAvias

iAvias

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1438 posts
  • Avias
  • DN, Holywood

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:18 PM

Master_Kajack, on 2012-04-16 17:57:52, said:

For those who uses TH with 30slots all the time and don't like to buy CC but uses trade as an option. DONT DO IT you can transfer items to your alt account or do email if you dont have extra pc in your home or a friend nearby you who don't want to help in opening DN launcher in his spare time in net cafe.

I added it there with your name on it up

#16 iAvias

iAvias

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1438 posts
  • Avias
  • DN, Holywood

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:20 PM

@Swordie

Thanks wink

#17 Master_Kajack

Master_Kajack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 824 posts
  • Kajack
  • DN, Westwood
  • Oblique

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:35 PM

iAvias, on 2012-04-16 18:18:47, said:

Master_Kajack, on 2012-04-16 17:57:52, said:

I added it there with your name on it up

HEEY WAHH!H!HH!T?! dont D: just say 'a guy name mofo'

#18 Tsugumi

Tsugumi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3612 posts
  • QxTsugumi / xMarisa
  • DN, Desmodeus
  • Lolicons / Pedophiles (Quit)

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:15 PM

Free bump for you! drink

#19 PauLboron

PauLboron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 697 posts
  • PauLboron/emkulit
  • DN, Greenwood

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:29 PM

~UP

#20 KloeRinz

KloeRinz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3967 posts
  • DN, Greenwood

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:33 PM

too bad the idiots who are naive don't visit the forums.

anyway nice guide!