111 replies to this topic

#1 DJ_FlutterXiee

DJ_FlutterXiee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1092 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:19 PM

Have been seeing a lot of threads complaining about game performance and mostly lag. Just thought I'd share a few tips on enjoying DN a bit more.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Increasing Game Performance

1. Close or turn off any uneccessary programs running while playing DN. This mostly includes browsers (especially those who alt-tab going to facebook, youtube and other sites while paying DN), instant messengers (skype, msn, yahoo, etc) and other programs. Unless you have a powerful PC that can run multiple programs at once, you should be fine. Even so, I usually refrain from running other programs while playing DN.

2. Turn off services running in the background. A few examples are your Anti-Virus/Firewall (not recommended unless you are sure that you are on a safe and secure internet/network connection), bluetooth scanners and other programs that run during startup.

3. Increase the Virtual Memory of Windows. (You must have enough hard drive space to do this).

4. Always get the latest updates for your video card drivers.

5. Keep Windows XP/Vista/7 always up-to-date.

6. Defragment your Hard Drives at least once a month.

7. Run a full scan with your Anti-Virus Software. Some viruses have been known to cause performance issues.

8. Uninstall programs you no longer use.

9. Upgrade your physical memory (RAM) and/or your video card.

10. Decrease video game settings like lowering the screen resolution and lowering the screen quality.

11. Try this software called Game Booster. I've been using this for a long time and there is a significant increase in my game performance. It automates some of the tips I described above. Use this if you are too lazy or unsure how to do some of the tips mentioned above.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Improving Internet Speed

First of all, there are two types of lag. One is Graphical/FPS lag and the other is internet/network lag. What I'm going to dicuss here is internet/network lag.

1. Restart your modem and/or router. Sometimes a simple restart can do a lot of things. The modem will generate a new IP address thus 'refreshing' your connection. Then restart your PC as well. If you're in an internet cafe, it's highly unlikely you can get the owner to restart the modem/router, so it might be better if you can skip this step.

2. Turn off any other programs that access the internet when you play DN. This includes browsers, instant messengers, downloaders (torrents, download managers, etc), windows update and other programs that connect to the internet to check for updates.

3. You can try using the following DNS Servers (For SEA Players). (How to change DNS Server settings in Windows XP / Windows Vista / Windows 7). The DNS servers below may work depending on your location and time. The more people using them, the slower they get. Before using them, trying pinging them first. If you get lower ping rates the better. From my research and own testing, the Singapore Starhub DNS and Indonesia Nawala Project DNS seem to be the fastest DNS servers for their location. Malaysa Jaring DNS and Philippines PLDT DNS seem to be the slowest. Google DNS also had impressive results with the lowest ping rates since this global DNS configures to your location and automatically adjusts to your connection. If you are not within SEA, please try using Google DNS or Open DNS.

DISCLAIMER: Using a DNS will not guarantee a boost in your speed. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. It still depends on the DNS server load and your location, so use at your own risk.

Singapore:

• 203.116.1.78 - Starhub DNS
  • 203.116.254.150 - Starhub DNS
  • 203.116.1.94 - Starhub DNS
  • 202.156.1.48 - Starhub DNS

Indonesia:

• 180.131.144.144 - Nawala Project
  • 180.131.145.145 - Nawala Project

Malaysia:

• 161.142.2.17 - Jaring DNS
  • 161.142.212.17 - Jaring DNS

Philippines:

• 203.172.11.21 - PLDT DNS
  • 203.172.11.25 - PLDT DNS
  • 202.52.163.6 - Globe DNS
  • 202.52.163.7 - Globe DNS

International:

• 208.67.222.222 - Open DNS
  • 208.67.220.220 - Open DNS
  • 8.8.8.8 - Google DNS
  • 8.8.4.4 - Google DNS

#2 Countpuchi

Countpuchi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2980 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:28 PM

Heres a quick question, do you know how to port forward the game? What ports the game runs etc

#3 NBAfan

NBAfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2380 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:29 PM

Xiee, on 2011-09-09 19:19:44, said:

Have been seeing a lot of threads complaining about game performance and mostly lag. Just thought I'd share a few tips on enjoying DN a bit more.

Mostly Players around the world outside of South East Asia.

#4 DJ_FlutterXiee

DJ_FlutterXiee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1092 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:36 PM

Countpuchi, on 2011-09-09 19:28:22, said:

Heres a quick question, do you know how to port forward the game? What ports the game runs etc

I have no idea what DN SEA's ports are. Unless someone can find out what they are I can whip up a guide on how to port forward it.

#5 Countpuchi

Countpuchi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2980 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:36 PM

damn ive been looking for em too. From what i read at DN NA the game runs on port 14300 or something but i dont think it is, Is there anyone in here who can answer this?>

#6 DJ_FlutterXiee

DJ_FlutterXiee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1092 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:37 PM

akikiwyo, on 2011-09-09 19:29:06, said:

Mostly Players around the world outside of South East Asia.

Which is why I included the DNS servers of Google and OpenDNS. OpenDNS mainly works in the US and North America, but Google's DNS automatically configures itself to your location, therefore it gives you the lowest ping rates.

#7 DJ_FlutterXiee

DJ_FlutterXiee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1092 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:40 PM

Countpuchi, on 2011-09-09 19:36:46, said:

damn ive been looking for em too. From what i read at DN NA the game runs on port 14300 or something but i dont think it is, Is there anyone in here who can answer this?>

Do you know the IP address of DN SEA? I can probably trace the port if I can figure out what DN SEA's IP address is.

#8 Countpuchi

Countpuchi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2980 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:46 PM

Thats the thing, i dont know~ The only thing i know is that from DN NA is that DN runs on 14300. DNSea is hosted on starhub, thats the only thing i can tell you.

#9 baaldrix

baaldrix

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts
  • DN, Springwood

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:47 PM

Xiee, on 2011-09-09 19:19:44, said:

3. You can try using the following DNS Servers (For SEA Players).

DNS records are cached on any DNS server (and on your computer as well). So in most cases the query takes a little bit more time only the first time you do it, and all the subsequent queries for the same address are done much faster. Are there any specific reasons you proposed this as one of the solutions to speed up the connection?

#10 DJ_FlutterXiee

DJ_FlutterXiee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1092 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:55 PM

baaldrix, on 2011-09-09 19:47:21, said:

DNS records are cached on any DNS server (and on your computer as well). So in most cases the query takes a little bit more time only the first time you do it, and all the subsequent queries for the same address are done much faster. Are there any specific reasons you proposed this as one of the solutions to speed up the connection?

If you noticed those DNS servers are from the most common ISPs from each country. Theoretically, using the DNS server of your ISP can boost your speed. It still depends on the location of the user though. I've experienced this myself with some improvement but there are times that these DNS servers are not reliable. It's just a suggestion for those who have been asking for DNS servers in the past.

#11 DJ_FlutterXiee

DJ_FlutterXiee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1092 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 08:03 PM

Countpuchi, on 2011-09-09 19:46:53, said:

Thats the thing, i dont know~ The only thing i know is that from DN NA is that DN runs on 14300. DNSea is hosted on starhub, thats the only thing i can tell you.

I've done some research and testing using a program called TCPview. I'm not sure if this is a permanent port, it might be a port range or something. I ran DN SEA 3 different times, and each of those different times it clearly displayed this port 14402. That might be it. Will need to confirm it further.

On a sidenote, thanks for the sticky. Didn't expect that but it's good for other people to see.

#12 Countpuchi

Countpuchi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2980 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 08:39 PM

14402? hmm okay, now we gotta ask the gms for the server ip :) Hope they will allow this since it will really help players

#13 Destruct

Destruct

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 10:19 PM

Can we just ask GMs about the ports?

I've been trying to port forward using PFConfig software, but I need TCP/UDP port to continue. Some games are supported by this software, but unfortunately, Dragon Nest is not one of them, so you need to input all the things manually.

I am lagging like a maniac in PvP, and while I love PvE a lot, as well, it's not enough for me to stick with a game, I need PvE and PvP. CC, of course is doing nothing for EU players, so this is my last resort to try and improve the performance in PvP for myself.

#14 Countpuchi

Countpuchi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2980 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 10:33 PM

Try using TCPView like he said, its a small free prog that scans them processes, ive did mine and it showed 14300 :/ it is somewhere 14xxx though it might differ from pc to pc though

#15 DJ_FlutterXiee

DJ_FlutterXiee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1092 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 10:41 PM

Ugh... did TCPview again. This time the port is like 14200 something. I'm guessing they're running the game on a port range of like 14000 to 14400 it seems.

#16 DJ_FlutterXiee

DJ_FlutterXiee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1092 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 10:42 PM

Destruct, on 2011-09-09 22:19:00, said:

Can we just ask GMs about the ports?

I've been trying to port forward using PFConfig software, but I need TCP/UDP port to continue. Some games are supported by this software, but unfortunately, Dragon Nest is not one of them, so you need to input all the things manually.

I am lagging like a maniac in PvP, and while I love PvE a lot, as well, it's not enough for me to stick with a game, I need PvE and PvP. CC, of course is doing nothing for EU players, so this is my last resort to try and improve the performance in PvP for myself.

Might be worth asking for. I'll try to ask and file a ticket thru cherry messenger and see if they reply with something good.

#17 Destruct

Destruct

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 11:34 PM

Hoping for the best answer from them. Let us know here.

#18 baaldrix

baaldrix

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts
  • DN, Springwood

Posted 10 September 2011 - 12:18 AM

Countpuchi, on 2011-09-09 19:36:46, said:

First of all, a little tutorial on standard network communication for the non-geeks:

• you start the game
  • your computer opens a random local port, and sends a packet (=some data) to DN server (destination port 14300, or some other port, doesn't matter for this example)
  • firewall/router gets the packet (I will just call it router from here on, for home use it's usually just one device)
  • router writes source/destination IP/port to internal table
  • router rewrites source IP address to your external IP address (=address that your ISP provides to you)
  • router sends the packet to DN server
  • DN server gets the packet
  • DN server replies with another packet. Reply goes to source IP address (=IP address of your router - remember point 5: rewriting!)
  • router gets the packet
  • router knows (from internal table, point 4) this packet is a response to original packet sent from your computer
  • router sends response packet to your computer
  • you play the game

Now the important thing to understand here is explained in point 2. You cannot really port-forward a random port - but then again, why would you? The communication runs smoothly without you doing anything.

I'm pretty sure any port-forwarding needs would be mentioned in DN tutorials and on the forums many times, as otherwise you'd be unable to run the game properly (=bad publicity).

#19 DJ_FlutterXiee

DJ_FlutterXiee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1092 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 02:03 AM

baaldrix, on 2011-09-10 00:18:57, said:

First of all, a little tutorial on standard network communication for the non-geeks:

• you start the game
  • your computer opens a random local port, and sends a packet (=some data) to DN server (destination port 14300, or some other port, doesn't matter for this example)
  • firewall/router gets the packet (I will just call it router from here on, for home use it's usually just one device)
  • router writes source/destination IP/port to internal table
  • router rewrites source IP address to your external IP address (=address that your ISP provides to you)
  • router sends the packet to DN server
  • DN server gets the packet
  • DN server replies with another packet. Reply goes to source IP address (=IP address of your router - remember point 5: rewriting!)
  • router gets the packet
  • router knows (from internal table, point 4) this packet is a response to original packet sent from your computer
  • router sends response packet to your computer
  • you play the game

Now the important thing to understand here is explained in point 2. You cannot really port-forward a random port - but then again, why would you? The communication runs smoothly without you doing anything.

I'm pretty sure any port-forwarding needs would be mentioned in DN tutorials and on the forums many times, as otherwise you'd be unable to run the game properly (=bad publicity).

Wow a geek.

Well, we're gonna figure out sooner or later anyway. If there is indeed a way to use port forwarding this game then good for us. I actually submitted a ticket to ask them if its possible. I'm guessing though that they won't have a clue of what I'm talking about. But its a shot in the dark and better than nothing. 

#20 Destruct

Destruct

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 07:09 AM

I am completely clueless what you're talking about ,but...

Why would their port be random?

I mean, there's a lot of game on which you can use port forwarding, and softwares for automatic port forwarding, which include a list of suported games, I mean, a list of games that the software is supporting offcially and giving technical support for, and those games already have port forwarding set in the software, all you need to do is activate it, and deactivate when you stop playing.

However, you can still make a port forward, which you can enable and disable for unsupported games, but you're on your own then.

So, um...what makes you think that it's more random than any other game's port, to which people are port forwarding? ._.

People here are all just GMs and Moderators, it doesn't mean they know anything about this, not that I know much either.

Also, not many people complained about lag, at least not enough people for them to take notice and do something about it. They probably consider it a problem on our side, not theirs, even though it's all because of the overcorwded servers, EU and SEA players all merged together...etc.