The difference between a Game Master (GM) / Forum Moderator, Admin, etc. / and Game Developers

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#1 desofire

desofire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6132 posts
  • LemonCheek
  • DN, Greenwood
  • Lacerta

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:53 PM

Okay, I maybe inactive in DN, but I'd like to contribute. So yeah, who said "w3ws" do not visit forums?

What is a Gamemaster/GM?

A gamemaster, GM for short, is a person who acts as an organizer, officiant for questions regarding rules, arbitrator, and moderator for a multiplayer role-playing game. They are most common in co-operative games in which players work together and are less common in competitive games in which players oppose each other.

Gamemasters act as a moderator or customer service representative for an online community. A gamemaster in such a game is either an experienced volunteer player or an employee of the game's publisher. They enforce the game's rules by banishing spammers, player killers, cheaters, and hackers and by solving players' problems by providing general customer service.

Gamemasters do NOT have the power or authority to alter game mechanics such as enhancing, nerfing, adding, deleting, or creating features in the game. However, if given authority, they are given access to tools for events. An example of this was an event here in DN in which the players were in the farm channel and GMs literally dropped epic codes. That is a demonstration of how much power a gamemaster is entitled to, when given authority to do so.

View PostKamosuzo, on 20 May 2013 - 08:17 PM, said:

One more reason why w3ws kept blaming/nagging/QQing on Game Master is because of PRIVATE SERVER.

You see, people who accustomed to play in private server always sees GM role as the person who controls everything (db, account, fixes) in the said server.

When they switched to play official server (any MMO, not just DN) this misconception is still etched in their mind, thus what we see happened now in the community.

What is a Forum Moderator?

Regular people who relay our feedbacks and help maintain order in the forums. They are just volunteers who just want to help make the community a peaceful place.

They are NOT GMs! They have absolutely NO power or authority to do anything of what a GM can do in the game. These guys are the ones who are one of the very first people in the front lines when taking in our complaints, plus these guys are most likely not paid and did this on their own accord. They are just volunteers, or basically think of it as they are the ones who have a "lower rank" under the GM and none of the powers that they can do.

What is a Game developer?

A game developer, dev for short, is a software developer business or individual which creates video games. A game developer may specialize on certain platforms, such as the PC or consoles like the PS3, XBox 360, and Wii U.

The devs HAVE the power and authority, though it may vary with the wishes of its publisher, to alter game mechanics such as nerfing, enhancing, creating, deleting, and adding features in the game. The have all the tools necessary to do whatever they please with their creation, as well as the responsibility for making it balanced. A demonstration of the power and authority of the devs are the following:

1.) Skill mechanics
2.) Skill revamps such as reworking of skills, nerfing, and buffing (Game designers are partially responsible for this CMIIW)
3.) Damage output
4.) Stats

Reason why I made this? Because I think, or rather I believe, GMs are sick and tired in dealing with feedback that demand certain things that are beyond their capabilities, or what they are allowed to do. And some GMs need to remember what they are limited to. I remember a GM in Garena HoN abusing his power by banning people if they think they are "intentionally feeding" or they are still trying to get the hang of the game, or playing to have fun. Talk about skill discrimination. So yeah, I don't want anyone here to meet a GM that abuses his/her power. No one wants a power tripper.

Edited by desofire, 22 August 2013 - 07:12 PM.

#2 PusheenCopyCat

PusheenCopyCat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1410 posts
  • RRaawwrr
  • DN, Springwood
  • GGaawwrr

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:54 PM

hi

#3 insidious0192

insidious0192

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6980 posts
  • DN, Springwood
  • AS Beta Tester

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:56 PM

This is better off in the account issues or the Abuse Reports section, The only place where most w3ws visit to complain to GMs (tongueout)

Edited by insidious0192, 20 May 2013 - 06:56 PM.

#4 tensaigandy

tensaigandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3157 posts
  • tensaiGG
  • Ein

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:57 PM

GM pls nerf majesty so imba pl0x (mad)

am I doing this right ? (:>)

#5 LexAzrael

LexAzrael

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6411 posts
  • LexAzrael
  • DN, Greenwood
  • Guildmaster of Arsonists/AS Beta Tester

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:59 PM

GM PLEASE NERF EVERY CLASS EXCEPT MINE.

Anyway, good guide. However, most w3ws who only go to forums to QQ won't be able to read this.

#6 desofire

desofire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6132 posts
  • LemonCheek
  • DN, Greenwood
  • Lacerta

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:59 PM

Well, I wanna help. I mean, who wants another complaint thread that demandingtelling GMs to fix things? (lol)

#7 desofire

desofire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6132 posts
  • LemonCheek
  • DN, Greenwood
  • Lacerta

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:00 PM

View PostLexAzrael, on 20 May 2013 - 06:59 PM, said:

GM PLEASE NERF EVERY CLASS EXCEPT MINE.

Anyway, good guide. However, most w3ws who only go to forums to QQ won't be able to read this.
Then by all means, show them this thread. If they don't learn, then simply ignore (lol)

#8 insidious0192

insidious0192

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6980 posts
  • DN, Springwood
  • AS Beta Tester

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:01 PM

View Postdesofire, on 20 May 2013 - 06:59 PM, said:

Well, I wanna help. I mean, who wants another complaint thread that demandingtelling GMs to fix things? (lol)

buuuuut...w3ws don't read other threads aside from their's (:[)

especially those 1 post 1 account type of w3ws (:[)

Edited by insidious0192, 20 May 2013 - 07:01 PM.

#9 desofire

desofire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6132 posts
  • LemonCheek
  • DN, Greenwood
  • Lacerta

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:02 PM

View Postinsidious0192, on 20 May 2013 - 07:01 PM, said:

Then... uhh...

Yuhlia! Where should this thread be? (shame)

#10 LexAzrael

LexAzrael

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6411 posts
  • LexAzrael
  • DN, Greenwood

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:03 PM

View Postdesofire, on 20 May 2013 - 06:59 PM, said:

I just facepalm at that. The only solution to at least relieve just a little bit of the frustration

View Postinsidious0192, on 20 May 2013 - 07:01 PM, said:

especially those 1 post 1 account type of w3ws (:[)
Most of them, the one QQing probably don't even read the replies on their thread.

View Postdesofire, on 20 May 2013 - 07:02 PM, said:

Then... uhh...

Yuhlia! Where should this thread be? (shame)

I think based on content, should be on Guides and Strategies. But who cares, let's summon le awesome mod Yuhlia (lol)

Edited by LexAzrael, 20 May 2013 - 07:05 PM.

#11 desofire

desofire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6132 posts
  • LemonCheek
  • DN, Greenwood
  • Lacerta

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:08 PM

Well, then... uhh... I dunno, just tell them to go here or something. W3ws will learn, despite how difficult that task may be, or how agonizing it is.

#12 Valhadow

Valhadow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4955 posts
  • Akuales/Akuayate
  • DN, Springwood
  • Vice-Guild Master of Phantasma

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:09 PM

Reminds me of this.

#13 PIIIKACHU

PIIIKACHU

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2064 posts
  • IDK :D
  • DN, Springwood

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:11 PM

tldr

game dev = codez

game masta/moderata/mother/money = event $$$$$$$$$ ???? 11111 wew give me money plz

#14 desofire

desofire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6132 posts
  • LemonCheek
  • DN, Greenwood
  • Lacerta

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:14 PM

View PostPIIIKACHU, on 20 May 2013 - 07:11 PM, said:

tldr

game dev = codez

game masta/moderata/mother/money = event $$$$$$$$$ ???? 11111 wew give me money plz
Pretty much everything in a nutshell (lol)

#15 Yuhlia

Yuhlia

• 2118 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:38 PM

WHO DARE SUMMON ME--- Oh it's you guys <3

Yeah this topic is fine where it is :)

And I like this topic. Thank you, deso :)

#16 Valhadow

Valhadow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4955 posts
  • Akuales/Akuayate
  • DN, Springwood
  • Vice-Guild Master of Phantasma

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:57 PM

View PostYuhlia, on 20 May 2013 - 07:38 PM, said:

You scare me (:[)
Moi is a little Neko (:[)

#17 chihaya

chihaya

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 834 posts
  • Enlil
  • DN, Westwood
  • The sole w3wsader of Diamonds (//_^) (ret.)

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:00 PM

sir pls nerf dash sir (:[)

#18 LexAzrael

LexAzrael

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6411 posts
  • LexAzrael
  • DN, Greenwood

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:02 PM

View PostYuhlia, on 20 May 2013 - 07:38 PM, said:

The easiest mod to summon (lol) Just mention his/her name on the thread and he/she would be there (clap)

#19 Kamosuzo

Kamosuzo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4787 posts
  • That Guy
  • DN, Holywood
  • "He's back"

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:17 PM

One more reason why w3ws kept blaming/nagging/QQing on Game Master is because of PRIVATE SERVER.

You see, people who accustomed to play in private server always sees GM role as the person who controls everything (db, account, fixes) in the said server.

When they switched to play official server (any MMO, not just DN) this misconception is still etched in their mind, thus what we see happened now in the community.

#20 desofire

desofire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6132 posts
  • LemonCheek
  • DN, Greenwood
  • Lacerta

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:19 PM

View PostKamosuzo, on 20 May 2013 - 08:17 PM, said:

Mr President, may I ask permission to add what you said/typed down in the thread? I believe it must be added to aid the general public.