[Conceptual Guide] Understanding Your Combos: Progressive Conceptual Guide For Acrobats

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#1 TheWarriorHero

TheWarriorHero

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Not Playing Anymore
  • DN, Greenwood
  • Officially Quitting the Game

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:30 PM

NOTICE FOR BEGINNERS: Please read the supporting articles below before attempting to imitate the techniques demonstrated on the videos.

Understanding Your Combos:  Fundamental, Basic and Advanced Concepts

Posted Image

In every fighting facet, combinations play a big role upon determining who among the combatants will emerge victorious. Successions of every strike emerging in different patterns and various forms are very crucial to conquer a fierce battle.

Since each clash could play out very spontaneously, strategies and proper understanding of enemy’s skills and weaknesses will affect the outcome of the fight, hence, an offensive move could sometimes be seen as a counter-attack.

However, due to a beginners’ lack of experience, the misconception that combos will win a game could be the first thing that will occupy his mind.

Since fighting-intelligence requires experience, the best thing that a beginner could do is to actually understand his own strength and weaknesses by learning more about the skills given to him by nature so he may know what he already has in possession that will lead to the formation of his combos.

Soon with enough experience, a beginner will now begin to understand the wisdom of martial facets by doing the next thing which is understanding the make-up of each nemesis so he may learn to apply his own strength. In turn, all of these will lead to one's glorious mastery!

Being a newbie myself, I created a guide that will help my fellow newbies understand more about offensive combos that will guide them in their conquest for glory!

The Feather-like Concept of Combos!

Posted Image

Imagine a feather. It floats in the air as you blow it continuously until you start to lose your breath. Upon hitting the ground, the feather will require something that will make it float again. Either you begin blowing it again to suspend it or you pick it up and throw it in the air.

The same thing applies on your enemy. Your enemy is the feather that you blow gracefully and continuously in order for you to sustain your attack which forms the infamous term “COMBO.”

However, you need to consider the different “levels”  or “heights” to fully understand your combinations.

Refer to the picture I prepared for you:

Posted Image

Level 1 or the Ground Level as suggested by the red line is best recognized whenever your opponent gets knocked-down or when he is lying flat which makes him vulnerable on the ground. Sustaining combo on this level is very limited since only few skills will actually connect. Therefore, like the feather, you need to pick him up or lift him up using the proper skills in order to make him float on a higher level where he will be more vulnerable as embodied by both Level 2  and Level 3.

Level 2 or the Middle Level is the level where you can land almost all of your main skills so you better take advantage of it.

Lastly, there is Level 3 which is the highest possible  level reachable by the range of your combinations as an acrobat. This level is attained as dictated by the nature of your Level 1 and Level 2 skills. It requires your understanding of aerial attacks to retain the aerial suspension of your target as you inflict some lethal damage against him.

All in all, your combinations will take you on these 3 different levels and you need to distinguish each level to fully implement how you want your combinations to turn out.

Now let us try distinguishing these three different levels by peeking at a simple video that I prepared:

Now that you already grasp the concept of the feather, let me try to individualize the function of each skills with regards to the respective combo levels:

LEVEL 1:
GROUND-LEVEL SKILLS FOR PICKING UP OPPONENTS ON THE GROUND

Kick shot (Ex) is the perfect skill that has the mobility, range, speed, damage and (super armor). It is a good skill that will help you pick your opponent as he lies vulnerably on the ground while it is impossible for some of your main skills to connect.
(EX: hurricane dance won’t hit a knocked-down target.)

Therefore this particular skilll can lift your target on either level 2 or 3 which will give you an opening for another skill in order for you to sustain your combo!

The same mechanics are true for Spiral Kick.

Also, consider Low Spin Kick which could be very hard to use.

Spiral Vortex is a good lifting skill too and it is very advantageous given its huge damage potential.

Although this one could be improbable, Eagle Dive actually offers you an insignificant bounce off of a vulnerable opponent. Notice how small the given time-frame is.

As I said this is pretty tricky but it would be best if executed with Spirit Boost.

Spirit Shot is also an effective trajectory that will give you a small bounce worth taking advantage of.

Normal Attack, this is the most overlooked attack of every class and I found my own special way to make it more meaningful. Refer to the video below and see how it gives you a very significant bounce that will enable you to chain your combos.  

LEVEL 2:
MIDDLE-LEVEL LAUNCHING SKILLS

First, I want to make it clear that there are 2 kinds of skill-utilization on this level which I categorize as the DAMAGING SKILLS and the LAUNCHING SKILLS.

Most of your acrobat skills will connect on this level TO DELIVER DAMAGE. But since you need to sustain your target's suspension in order to deliver these numbers, the overlooked launching skills must be used effectively.

Sommersault Kick is the skill that actually launches the opponent after Binding Shot. It is commonly overlooked given that Double-Sommersault Kick is obviously flashier. But give this skill some appreciation.

Willow Kick may give you an undesirable damage but its utilization in launching an enemy in the air to give you an opening is very significant.

Hurricane Dance has it all and a Tempest must take advantage of the opening it offers aside from its I-frame  and powerful attack.

There is a reason why I described Kick-shot as a perfect skill. Its utilization goes from picking-up someone on the ground, launching him on the air to give you an opening and firing some arrows as a parting gift.

Moon Kick might not be that flashy but the opening it will give you as it launches a target by making it bounce off the ground is as inviting as Maria Ozawa’s…. smile.

LEVEL 3:
AERIAL SUSPENSION LEVEL

Sometimes the launches could be so high that it will require you to understand and practice what it means to be an acrobat. Understanding this will help you buy time for your utilized skills as you put up some hurt on your opponent by restraining him on the air while literally floating at the same time.

Windwalkers are gifted with aerial mobility through Showtime hence Windwalkers must focus on this aspect although Tempests can do this too!

Notice how Air Pounce and Moon Kick act as the two main suspenders on this level and how Showtime could be so utilized to take advantage of this while Tempests could only suspend for a little time and resort to its damaging skills right away.

Also I encourage you to get creative with Circle Shot as it can be pretty aerial too.

Understanding the functions of an acrobat's numerous skills will help you perform spontaneous and versatile combos. Moreover, having these insights will let you notice how every skill compliments the usage of each other with regards to their functions and reset timings which in turn will lead you to perform infinite and spontaneous combos.

Spoiler

MOBILITY COMBOS and AGILITY

Although an Acrobat is an archery-inclined job, it is really ironic how it demands a close-quarter combat in order for its lethal skills to connect. This fact makes the fighting range between an acrobat and it’s enemy really vital, hence, controlling the distance can be a huge factor in overcoming one’s nemesis.

As an acrobat, dealing with your ****nal’s range means mastering your mobility skills and you need to learn every possible and effective way to divide, combine and apply them perfectly. Bear in mind that an acrobat possesses more mobility-skills than majority of other competing jobs so knowing the concepts of how they work will be an advantage for you.

Moreover, play by the fact that mobility is best synergized with agility. In a battle of reflexes and speed, being a blink faster over one’s challenger can spell one’s survival and one’s doom. So as an acrobat, you have to use all necessary skill that you possess by having a quick and undeterred judgment upon every reaction by being sure of your motives and how you’ll handle a situation once you failed during your initiation.

Much emphasis has been directed towards the "amount of damage" to be inflicted on your enemy in order to get a win and speed has been long overlooked. However, the accumulation of damage successfully delivered under the aid of blinding speed can vanquish a one-hit wonder.

In this concept, we will try to make an already fast acrobat even faster. This speed will be literally blinding for your opponent. It will be so blinding that they will still be facing up-front when you're already at the back in a "now you see me, now you don't" fashion.

AERIAL EVASION EXHAUSTION

Moreover, cutting the distance alone will not guarantee a win. Landing a skill successfully will not be enough to obliterate your target neither.  Since you need to sustain successive strikes by performing combinations, containing, overwhelming and controlling your enemy within your reach will dictate the flow of your attacks.

To make this possible, bear in mind that the defensive foundation of each class are their aerial recovery skills and exhausting them using your skills will bring you closer to victory.

Understanding the mechanics of how to do this is really important so each of your skills will be used effectively. Knowing the nature of your skills will really help you master this concept and with that, bear in mind that every time your skills successfully launch your opponent in the air, you are actually tempting him to use his aerial recovery skill/s which upon exhaustion will give you the opening to unleash your lethal combos! Let's take a look at a Gladiator for example.

Spoiler

Now what happens when these skills are successfully exhausted?

However, consider your approach based on the job that you are playing against.

REPULSION VIA CIRCLE SHOT

Now here is something that will help you set up your attacks by repelling your enemies through the initiation of circle shot. This is a defensive maneuver which can lead to offense if used properly. Moreover, it will help you set-up your combos since it will give you just enough time-frame to approach your opponent.

BONUS CONCEPTS

ZONING YOUR DEFENSE

Now, I want to show you the basic utilization of some acrobat's skills to create an almost impenetrable defensive zone. Notice how Circle Shot, Binding Shot, Double-Sommersault Kick and various skill act as the foundation of your defense and how these skills can literally carry you through the match.

In this video, be reminded that I did not implement any offensive plots to clearly distinguish the defensive aspect rooted in the said skills. Hence, I am extending my point that I am not teaching you to run and kite. (No flame-baiting intended and I am not trying to humiliate any character recorded on the video..)

Spoiler

VARIOUS TRICKS

Spoiler

THE AMAZING DIVES

Posted Image

Do you know that the Peregrine Falcon is the fastest animal ever recorded? Its diving attack can instantly stun or even kill its target as it dives from the sky to deliver an attack with its deadly talons similar to
Spiral Edge. The attack known as the "Falcon Punch" executed at a stunning speed of approximately 240MPH is the falcon's amazing way to kill its prey. Watch the Falcon's attack HERE.

I believe some of Acrobat’s aspects were inspired by these aerial raptors and taking advantage of these powerful downward trajectories will give you flashy and lethal fighting tools. Notice how these downward trajectories help to expand a sequence of attacks and how the always-flashy Spiral Edge could be so effective supposing your opponent ran out of his ground-level evasive skills. The flight will make you fly like a falcon.

~
Again, as a newbie, understanding these fundamentals will help you create your own, reasonable and spontaneous combo by being versatile on your skill-succession. Your combos don’t need to be fancy. They need to be effective. Lifting up your opponent and retaining your opponent's suspension is the key for this. Understanding these concepts will help you so much to perform combos and discover some tricks   while keeping your fundamentals intact!

Cheers!

This is a comprehensive approach for anyone who wants to learn more about executing combinations in PVP! It will help you understand your combos better rather than imitating something and losing the concept of the fundamentals on the process.

Edited by TheWarriorHero, 04 January 2014 - 07:01 PM.

#2 Vareona

Vareona

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1101 posts
  • Vareona
  • DN, Desmodeus
  • NoPantsu

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:43 PM

This line is perfect.

View PostTheWarriorHero, on 28 August 2013 - 10:30 PM, said:

Your enemy is that feather that you blow gracefully and continuously in order for you to sustain your attack

which forms the infamous term “COMBO.”

.. for new acrobats to learn picking up acro PvP!

Many times I see acrobats who memorize/imitate certain fixed combos without actually grasping the foundation of comboing. Like chaining CK right after SV but not considering the risk of being hit by wake attack if the opponent isn't lifted high enough (could be done by casting KnS/Low Spin Kick/SK in between or casting CK midway SV). Or hitting CK by circling around and losing many hits because the enemy is lifted too high. (sorry)

A little to add regarding the height levels:
When comboing, you'd like to have the feather (aka opponent) falling or changing levels smoothly.

Eg: 2 (mid) > 3 (high) > 2 (mid) > 1 (ground) > 2 (mid) > etc etc.

- By doing this you can chain your skills more smoothly and not waste potential hits/damage; CK (2 > 2 > 3 > 2 > 1), BK EX + Lift + Pounce ( 2 > 3 > 3 > 2 > 2/1)
- The exception to change the target from extreme levels  (3 to 1 or vice versa) is if you have skills that can do just that; ED (3/2 > 1), ED EX (3/2 > 1 > 2), Moon Kick (3/2 > 1 > 2 > 3), etc

Every time the oppoent drops to the ground, pick it up ASAP and bring it back to the higher levels to avoid the opponent to retaliate with wake attack

And nice work (clap)

Edited by Vareona, 28 August 2013 - 11:49 PM.

#3 TheWarriorHero

TheWarriorHero

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Not Playing Anymore
  • DN, Greenwood

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:53 PM

View PostVareona, on 28 August 2013 - 11:43 PM, said:

This line is perfect.
[/center]
.. for new acrobats to learn picking up acro PvP!

Many times I see acrobats who memorize/imitate certain fixed combos without actually grasping the foundation of comboing. Like chaining CK right after SV but not considering the risk of being hit by wake attack if the opponent isn't lifted high enough (could be done by casting KnS/Low Spin Kick/SK in between or casting CK midway SV). Or hitting CK by circling around and losing many hits because the enemy is lifted too high. (sorry)

A little to add regarding the height levels:
When comboing, you'd like to have the feather (aka opponent) falling or changing levels smoothly.

Eg: 2 (mid) > 3 (high) > 2 (mid) > 1 (ground) > 2 (mid) > etc etc.

- By doing this you can chain your skills more smoothly and not waste potential hits/damage; CK (2 > 2 > 3 > 2 > 1), BK EX + Lift + Pounce ( 2 > 3 > 3 > 2 > 2/1)
- The exception to change the target from extreme levels  (3 to 1 or vice versa) is if you have skills that can do just that; ED (3/2 > 1), ED EX (3/2 > 1 > 2), Moon Kick (3/2 > 1 > 2 > 3), etc

Every time the oppoent drops to the ground, pick it up ASAP and bring it back to the higher levels to avoid the opponent to retaliate with wake attack

And nice work (clap)

Inputs like yours will truly help the acrobat community!
Understanding fundamentals is really a good way to start!
Cheers! and good evening to you. (hat)

#4 TheWarriorHero

TheWarriorHero

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Not Playing Anymore
  • DN, Greenwood

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:25 AM

Hope this will help the community especially the newbies and others who are planning to become acrobats!

Edited by TheWarriorHero, 29 August 2013 - 06:06 PM.

#5 raveyy

raveyy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4698 posts
  • Raveylicious
  • DN, Greenwood
  • Starchild

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:41 PM

This is a very good and comprehensive guide in describing the fundamental of acrobatics in PvP.

A thumbs up from me, I recommend anyone who wants to learn the basic and fundamental of Acrobat to actually read this first before advancing to expert guides on in-depth Acrobats' mechanics.

P.S. I like the falcon and feather analogy and metaphor, it sums up the fundamental of acrobat perfectly!

#6 TheWarriorHero

TheWarriorHero

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Not Playing Anymore
  • DN, Greenwood

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:22 PM

View Postraveyy, on 29 August 2013 - 05:41 PM, said:

This is a very good and comprehensive guide in describing the fundamental of acrobatics in PvP.

A thumbs up from me, I recommend anyone who wants to learn the basic and fundamental of Acrobat to actually read this first before advancing to expert guides on in-depth Acrobats' mechanics.

P.S. I like the falcon and feather analogy and metaphor, it sums up the fundamental of acrobat perfectly!

Good day to you!
Thank you for the thumbs up!
Wishing this will be of good help to everyone.

Edited by TheWarriorHero, 29 August 2013 - 06:22 PM.

#7 fourrier

fourrier

Extraordinary Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10248 posts
  • DN, Holywood
  • Quit

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:46 PM

This is rather Tempest-oriented rather than acrobat in general.
Windwalker Spiral Kick EX can't be chained to Willow Kick

#8 llXaldinll

llXaldinll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1817 posts
  • llXaldinll
  • DN, Springwood
  • Watersgate Guild Master High Voltage Inquisitor Clerics Alliance Monastery

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:20 AM

Perfect timing for me!
(Though my tempest is more of a 1v1 PVE orientation (shame) )
and i'll go with Ravey, i like how you bring up the feather and falcon topic to substantiate your ideas! (:])

(;])

#9 aj0258

aj0258

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 352 posts
  • ShnaMiyako
  • DN, Springwood

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:33 AM

i like how you explain the use of each skill as a part of a combo rather than giving a ABC or a "follow this sequence" combo
it will encourage flexibility and creativeness

just a suggestion, how about adding tips on re-initiating combos after your target use aerial evasion/urgency trick,force blink like skills and wake attack

#10 laxuslightning

laxuslightning

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 292 posts
  • DN, Greenwood
  • TeamILOILO

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:35 AM

+1 to PIN THIS POST!!!

Awesome guide.... As expected from Hitler TheWarriorHero.... (:])

#11 melfice125

melfice125

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:01 AM

for both spiral edge usage demonstration, it is better to do: airpounce x3 + moonkick > spiral edge

from the video, chaining spiral edge directly after airpounce would not work if the opponent still has wake atk, as the floor time is quite long.

Edited by melfice125, 31 August 2013 - 08:02 AM.

#12 TheWarriorHero

TheWarriorHero

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Not Playing Anymore
  • DN, Greenwood

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:06 AM

View Postlaxuslightning, on 31 August 2013 - 04:35 AM, said:

+1 to PIN THIS POST!!!

Awesome guide.... As expected from Hitler TheWarriorHero.... (:])

Thanks and good day to everyone. (hat)

#13 graxia25

graxia25

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:40 PM

THIS TECHNIQUE IS FLAWED

look at how many sec the cd of his tip tops. he used the cool time elixir.  ive tried this countless of times i have perfected the first part but after the circle shot.. the  tip tops is still on cd so you cant possibly just to the dummy again.

if you can read this reply to me..  did you use accessory to reduce cd of tip tops? i guess that should be indicated in the guide

#14 TheWarriorHero

TheWarriorHero

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Not Playing Anymore
  • DN, Greenwood

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:46 PM

I'm not sure where to put Spirit Shot but i decided to put in on Level 1.
It is a trajectory that will give you a slight bounce comparable to the bounce that Eagle Dive offers..

Edited by TheWarriorHero, 01 September 2013 - 10:03 AM.

#15 Malygris

Malygris

Extraordinary Member

• Members
  • 12817 posts
  • PapaThor
  • DN, Desmodeus
  • Happiness is temporary, suffering is eternal!!!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:01 PM

videos no longer available. (T.T)

#16 raveyy

raveyy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4698 posts
  • Raveylicious
  • DN, Greenwood
  • Starchild

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:34 AM

View Postgraxia25, on 31 August 2013 - 02:40 PM, said:

THIS TECHNIQUE IS FLAWED

look at how many sec the cd of his tip tops. he used the cool time elixir.  ive tried this countless of times i have perfected the first part but after the circle shot.. the  tip tops is still on cd so you cant possibly just to the dummy again.

if you can read this reply to me..  did you use accessory to reduce cd of tip tops? i guess that should be indicated in the guide

Personally speaking, for any dedicated PvPer who wants to learn what the guide meant should have a full skill accessories set for PvP, and Tip Tops IMO is mandatory for the fundamental in learning/playing Acrobat.

View PostTheWarriorHero, on 31 August 2013 - 02:46 PM, said:

I'm not sure where to put Spirit Shot but i decided to put in on Level 1.
It is a trajectory that will give you a slight bounce comparable to the bounce that Eagle Dive offers..

Yup and its utility in mobility when Chain Trampoline > Spirit Shot > Tip Tops.

#17 TheWarriorHero

TheWarriorHero

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Not Playing Anymore
  • DN, Greenwood

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:01 PM

Hi guys

View PostMalygris, on 12 September 2013 - 08:01 PM, said:

videos no longer available. (T.T)

Hi Malygris. I re-uploaded some of the remaining videos to grant your request. :P I made some revisions to avoid other's confusion.

#18 TheWarriorHero

TheWarriorHero

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Not Playing Anymore
  • DN, Greenwood

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:08 PM

View Postgraxia25, on 31 August 2013 - 02:40 PM, said:

THIS TECHNIQUE IS FLAWED

Just because you can't do something, doesn't mean it's flawed.
:) I didn't use any plates or accessory aside from my wings and various plates like

+damage KnS.
+damage Double Sommersault kick.
+ action speed Spiral Vortex
+ Damage hurricane dance.

Edited by TheWarriorHero, 29 September 2013 - 10:02 AM.

#19 Malygris

Malygris

Extraordinary Member

• Members
  • 12817 posts
  • PapaThor
  • DN, Desmodeus
  • Happiness is temporary, suffering is eternal!!!

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:19 PM

View PostTheWarriorHero, on 27 September 2013 - 09:01 PM, said:

Hi guys

Hi Malygris. I re-uploaded some of the remaining videos to grant your request. :P I made some revisions to avoid other's confusion.
thank you! i am downloading your 4 minute video for reference (and just in case it also disappears!). i hope you don't mind. (:])

i should have downloaded your other videos when they were still available. (T.T)

#20 TheWarriorHero

TheWarriorHero

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Not Playing Anymore
  • DN, Greenwood

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:24 PM

View PostMalygris, on 27 September 2013 - 09:19 PM, said:

thank you! i am downloading your 4 minute video for reference (and just in case it also disappears!). i hope you don't mind. (:])

i should have downloaded your other videos when they were still available. (T.T)

I'm sorry for pulling them out right away. I was so scared when I learned that google can really spy on people that I decided to delete my previous account. Haha. Guess I'm a little paranoid. I'm wishing you well on your acrobat journey and may my little way be of great help to you. Have a good evening.