[Conceptual Guide] Understanding Your Combos: Progressive Conceptual Guide For Acrobats

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#61 Rainer

Rainer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Feohiro
  • FairyTail

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:44 PM

I really love this guide, since open beta I've been making all other classes except acros cause I'm afraid it's too rushy and i'd have to keep turning my screen and all sorts of epileptic flashes and rotations (lol).

Until i came across this and decided to give it a try; acrobat (i'm a windwalker; rising storm (:>) ) is really a complex class to master since everything is situational and SPONTANEOUS since you have no SA protection and can't just execute any skills recklessly, this requires observing your opponent even sharper than using snipers. This thread enabled me to visualize the entire skill concept of acrobat.

I've only had my windwalker for 3-4weeks now, and I'm rather glad that i finally decided to make an acrobat class! been facerolling opponents since the 3rd week (:>)  Just wanna say thanks~ been recommending it to guildies haha from newbies to pros

P.S: any techniques to deal with elestras apart from MP-baiting (i find it rather w3w-ish (sorry) )?
(damn high ice sword lol!) (sob)

#62 TheWarriorHero

TheWarriorHero

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Not Playing Anymore
  • DN, Greenwood
  • Officially Quitting the Game

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:38 PM

View PostRainer, on 27 October 2013 - 12:44 PM, said:

I really love this guide, since open beta I've been making all other classes except acros cause I'm afraid it's too rushy and i'd have to keep turning my screen and all sorts of epileptic flashes and rotations (lol).

Until i came across this and decided to give it a try; acrobat (i'm a windwalker; rising storm (:>) ) is really a complex class to master since everything is situational and SPONTANEOUS since you have no SA protection and can't just execute any skills recklessly, this requires observing your opponent even sharper than using snipers. This thread enabled me to visualize the entire skill concept of acrobat.

I've only had my windwalker for 3-4weeks now, and I'm rather glad that i finally decided to make an acrobat class! been facerolling opponents since the 3rd week (:>)  Just wanna say thanks~ been recommending it to guildies haha from newbies to pros

P.S: any techniques to deal with elestras apart from MP-baiting (i find it rather w3w-ish (sorry) )?
(damn high ice sword lol!) (sob)

Thank you so much for liking my humble guide... I'm glad I was able to help the community by doing a simple thing such as this and I'm wishing you well on your acrobat journey.

I am not as good as you think I am so I only have a basic thing in mind to asnwer you. But yes, my personal perspective regarding matches against elestras focuses on DISTANCE... I believe whoever controls the distance in an Acrobat-vs-Elestra match has the higher chance to win the game.

Acros specialize on combos and evasive-skill exhaustion so you need to cut the distance using your range-cutting skills because many Elestras rely on their rangy skills to deal damage against you. However, an Elestra might retaliate once you successfully cut the distance and this is when i-frame usage, aerial evasion baiting, counter-plays and hit-state knowledge come into play for you to successfully defeat her.

How is this possible? You need to understand the three sequences of Acrobat mobility..

1) Tumble -> Spirit Shot -> Tip Tops  ending with [eagle dive or spiral kick]
2)  Kick Shot / Spiral  Kick
3)  Tumble -> Chain Trampline    ending with    [Spirit Shot, Spiral Kick, or Eagle Dive]

or sometimes you can combine  Tumble-> Chain Trampoline -> Spirit Shot, Tip Tops, Eagle Dive/Spiral Kick whenever you try to initiate the contact..

For every 3 of your mobility sequences, an Elestra has only 2 (not sure).  (:]) And don't forget, Binding Shot catches opponent from a distance... When you exhaust an Elestra's mobility skills, you can turn the fight into a brawl ... (mad) (mad)

Edited by TheWarriorHero, 27 October 2013 - 03:09 PM.

#63 Rainer

Rainer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Feohiro
  • FairyTail

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:54 PM

Haha nice I've tried closing the distance, seems I had to bait their glacial wave before going in fully (or maybe i was too cautious/not greedy enough) (no)

Hard for me to aim accurately then jump and landing on them (they usually catch me when im just about to land from eagle dive; frozen (mad) )

Other than that, once glacial wave baited it's kinda freeflow of numbers haha, thanks again! (clap)

p.s: which server are you in? lol (love)

#64 TheWarriorHero

TheWarriorHero

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Not Playing Anymore
  • DN, Greenwood

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:38 AM

View PostRainer, on 27 October 2013 - 10:54 PM, said:

Haha nice I've tried closing the distance, seems I had to bait their glacial wave before going in fully (or maybe i was too cautious/not greedy enough) (no)

Hard for me to aim accurately then jump and landing on them (they usually catch me when im just about to land from eagle dive; frozen (mad) )

Other than that, once glacial wave baited it's kinda freeflow of numbers haha, thanks again! (clap)

p.s: which server are you in? lol (love)

You might want to ask Windwalker users too since a Tempest like me might adopt a different strategy.
I'm currently in Springwood. [Might go to Greenwood for a more peaceful environment.]

Since you mentioned that you are usually getting frozen by Glacial Wave upon landing, you might want to try these things.

Tip Tops 50% Action Speed Heraldry is so fast that your opponent will find it really hard to time your landing. Most of the time you are already banging them before they can even react. It even makes you walk faster for a few seconds upon landing as if you're using SB. Although unproven, I experienced my lunges covering larger areas due to the speed it generates. In group PVP's, try jumping over a crowd of people and you will laugh out loud because most of them will fail to see or notice you at all. (:D)

Air Pounce right after Chain Trampoline, Tip Tops and Normal Jump will make you land quicker, eliminating unnecessary air-time which makes you vulnerable to counters. Utilizing Air Pounce right after you evade using Tip Tops/Chain Trampoline will give you the opportunity to counter right away with a skill of your choice which will give you an opening for you combos.

[Spiral Vortex 50% Action Speed, Chain Trampoline 20% Cooldown]  :)

Goodluck fellow acro. (<3)

Edited by TheWarriorHero, 28 October 2013 - 05:53 AM.

#65 Rainer

Rainer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Feohiro
  • FairyTail

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:23 PM

thanks very much for your advice!

#66 TheWarriorHero

TheWarriorHero

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Not Playing Anymore
  • DN, Greenwood

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:21 PM

Updated with some basic stuffs...
Gonna be out for a while now....
Thanks everyone.

#67 Malygris

Malygris

Extraordinary Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12817 posts
  • PapaThor
  • DN, Desmodeus
  • Happiness is temporary, suffering is eternal!!!

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:39 PM

thanks, sir!

#68 TheWarriorHero

TheWarriorHero

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Not Playing Anymore
  • DN, Greenwood

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:20 AM

View PostMalygris, on 06 November 2013 - 09:39 PM, said:

thanks, sir!

Thanks Maly! :P Have a nice day!

#69 Rainer

Rainer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Feohiro
  • FairyTail

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:45 PM

haha i see you added range-cutting! xD (:>)

#70 meltinglim

meltinglim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:57 PM

i have use the elestra n the windwalker~ (:]) so i know how to use a ww to deal with elestra ~ (:D) elestra got 3 counter skill(not passive) which is  the firewall, shockwave , n the glacial wave when is in emergency troublem~ firewall got high sa skill so dun rush to them or u will lifted up by that firewall (oo;) , shockwave can push u back then they might use freezing sword/freezing field/poison/frozen spikes . (:>) The worst is their glacial wave, once we hitted they will spray the poison following by using the ice sphere , flame burst then chilling mist to push u back to the ice sphere to let u freeze again~n then u will gg~ (clap) (clap) (clap)
ps: oso need to becareful their frozen spike~which will explode let u flinch n slow~ (cool)

#71 Malygris

Malygris

Extraordinary Member

• Members
  • 12817 posts
  • PapaThor
  • DN, Desmodeus

Posted 23 November 2013 - 06:39 AM

managed to reach 18xx at one point... then somehow i got defeated 3x in a row. (:D)

#72 ArmedAndReady

ArmedAndReady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Some Random Archer
  • DN, Springwood

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:10 AM

Pro acro combo here:
https://www.youtube....h?v=NJateXmaSm4

How I wish to do those combos too! (sob)

#73 vvvgod

vvvgod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3015 posts
  • MoonlordPro
  • DN, Desmodeus
  • DNSEA

Posted 29 November 2013 - 09:29 AM

View PostTheWarriorHero, on 28 August 2013 - 10:30 PM, said:

NOTICE FOR BEGINNERS: Please read the supporting article below before attempting to imitate the techniques demonstrated on this video.

THE PREVIEW

Understanding Your Combos:  Fundamental, Basic and Advanced Concepts

Posted Image

In every fighting facet, combinations play a big role upon determining who among the combatants will emerge victorious. Successions of every strike emerging in different patterns and various forms are very crucial to conquer a fierce battle.

Since each clash could play out very spontaneously, strategies and proper understanding of enemy’s skills and weaknesses will affect the outcome of the fight, hence, an offensive move could sometimes be seen as a counter-attack.

However, due to a beginners’ lack of experience, the misconception that combos will win a game could be the first thing that will occupy his mind.

Since fighting-intelligence requires experience, the best thing that a beginner could do is to actually understand his own strength and weaknesses by learning more about the skills given to him by nature so he may know what he already has in possession that will lead to the formation of his combos.

Soon with enough experience, a beginner will now begin to understand the wisdom of martial facets by doing the next thing which is understanding the make-up of each nemesis so he may learn to apply his own strength. In turn, all of these will lead to one's glorious mastery!

Being a newbie myself, I created a guide that will help my fellow newbies understand more about offensive combos that will guide them in their conquest for glory!

The Feather-like Concept of Combos!

Imagine a feather. It floats in the air as you blow it continuously until you start to lose your breath. Upon hitting the ground, the feather will require something that will make it float again. Either you begin blowing it again to suspend it or you pick it up and throw it in the air.

The same thing applies on your enemy. Your enemy is the feather that you blow gracefully and continuously in order for you to sustain your attack which forms the infamous term “COMBO.”

However, you need to consider the different “levels”  or “heights” to fully understand your combinations.

Refer to the picture I prepared for you:

Posted Image

Level 1 or the Ground Level as suggested by the red line is best recognized whenever your opponent gets knocked-down or when he is lying flat which makes him vulnerable on the ground. Sustaining combo on this level is very limited since only few skills will actually connect. Therefore, like the feather, you need to pick him up or lift him up using the proper skills in order to make him float on a higher level where he will be more vulnerable as embodied by both Level 2  and Level 3.

Level 2 or the Middle Level is the level where you can land almost all of your main skills so you better take advantage of it.

Lastly, there is Level 3 which is the highest possible  level reachable by the range of your combinations as an acrobat. This level is attained as dictated by the nature of your Level 1 and Level 2 skills. It requires your understanding of aerial attacks to retain the aerial suspension of your target as you inflict some lethal damage against him.

All in all, your combinations will take you on these 3 different levels and you need to distinguish each level to fully implement how you want your combinations to turn out.

Now I will teach you partial tricks so "just refer to the video I posted below to see these concepts in action."

LEVEL 1:
GROUND-LEVEL SKILLS FOR PICKING UP OPPONENTS ON THE GROUND

Kick shot (Ex) is the perfect skill that has the mobility, range, speed, damage and (super armor). It is a good skill that will help you pick your opponent as he lies vulnerably on the ground while it is impossible for some of your main skills to connect.
(EX: hurricane dance won’t hit a knocked-down target.)

Therefore this particular skilll can lift your target on either level 2 or 3 which will give you an opening for another skill in order for you to sustain your combo!

The same mechanics are true for Spiral Kick.

Also, consider Low Spin Kick which could be very hard to use.

Spiral Vortex is a good lifting skill too and it is very advantageous given its huge damage potential.

Although this one could be improbable, Eagle Dive actually offers you an insignificant bounce off of a vulnerable opponent. Notice how small the given time-frame is.

As I said this is pretty tricky but it would be best if executed with Spirit Boost.

Spirit Shot is also an effective trajectory that will give you a small bounce worth taking advantage of.

Normal Attack, this is the most overlooked attack of every class and I found my own special way to make it more meaningful. Refer to the video below and see how it gives you a very significant bounce that will enable you to chain your combos.  

LEVEL 2:
MIDDLE-LEVEL LAUNCHING SKILLS

First, I want to make it clear that there are 2 kinds of skill-utilization on this level which I categorize as the DAMAGING SKILLS and the LAUNCHING SKILLS.

Most of your acrobat skills will connect on this level TO DELIVER DAMAGE. But since you need to sustain your target's suspension in order to deliver these numbers, the overlooked launching skills must be used effectively.

Sommersault Kick is the skill that actually launches the opponent after Binding Shot. It is commonly overlooked given that Double-Sommersault Kick is obviously flashier. But give this skill some appreciation.

Willow Kick may give you an undesirable damage but its utilization in launching an enemy in the air to give you an opening is very significant.

Hurricane Dance has it all and a Tempest must take advantage of the opening it offers aside from its I-frame  and powerful attack.

There is a reason why I described Kick-shot as a perfect skill. Its utilization goes from picking-up someone on the ground, launching him on the air to give you an opening and firing some arrows as a parting gift.

Moon Kick might not be that flashy but the opening it will give you as it launches a target by making it bounce off the ground is as inviting as Maria Ozawa’s…. smile.

LEVEL 3:
AERIAL SUSPENSION LEVEL

Sometimes the launches could be so high that it will require you to understand and practice what it means to be an acrobat. Understanding this will help you buy time for your utilized skills as you put up some hurt on your opponent by restraining him on the air while literally floating at the same time.

Windwalkers are gifted with aerial mobility through Showtime hence Windwalkers must focus on this aspect although Tempests can do this too!

Notice how Air Pounce and Moon Kick act as the two main suspenders on this level and how Showtime could be so utilized to take advantage of this while Tempests could only suspend for a little time and resort to its damaging skills right away.

Also I encourage you to get creative with Circle Shot as it can be pretty aerial too.

Now I will show you the summary of these fundamentals and how they will help you master your combos.

And also for Windwalkers featuring Vareona: WATCH IT HERE

DISPERSING TECHNIQUES:

Now that you understand the 3 levels I will show you something that you can use to defend your self while trying to execute your attack by dispersing your opponent through the initiation of Circle Shot. Note that some of these techniques must be done under careful considerations.

RANGE CUTTING, COMBO LOCKING and FEINTING

Although an acrobat is an archery-inclined job, it is kind of ironic how it demands a close-quarter combat in order for its main skills to connect. Since controlling the distance is crucial to overcome your nemesis, you need to understand your mobility skill and learn every possible effective way to combine them. An acrobat possesses more mobility-skills than other jobs so knowing the concepts of how they work will be an advantage for you.

Moreover, cutting the distance alone will not guarantee a win. Landing a skill successfully will not be enough to obliterate your target neither.  Since you need to sustain successive strikes by performing combinations, locking your enemy within your reach will dictate the flow of your attacks. To make this possible, bear in mind that the defensive foundation of each class is their aerial evasion and exhausting them using your skills will bring you closer to victory. Understanding the mechanics of how to do this is really important so each of your skills will be used effectively. Baiting is one good way to do this. To make this possible, you need to launch your target and carefully observe their aerial evasion usage while preparing to relaunch him again before his feet touches the ground using another launching skill.

Lastly, feinting is a really good way to exhaust some defensive skills of your opponent when they are on the ground.

ZONING YOUR DEFENSE

Now, I want to show you the basic utilization of some acrobat's skills to create an almost impenetrable defensive zone. Notice how Circle Shot, Binding Shot, Double-Sommersault Kick and various skill act as the foundation of your defense and how these skills can literally carry you through the match.

In this video, be reminded that I did not implement any offensive plots to clearly distinguish the defensive aspect rooted in the said skills. Hence, I am extending my point that I am not teaching you to run and kite. (No flame-baiting intended and I am not trying to humiliate any character recorded on the video..)

WATCH IT HERE

THE AMAZING DIVES

Posted Image

Do you know that the Peregrine Falcon is the fastest animal ever recorded? Its diving attack can instantly stun or even kill its target as it dives from the sky to deliver an attack with its deadly talons similar to
Spiral Edge. The attack known as the "Falcon Punch" executed at a stunning speed of approximately 240MPH is the falcon's amazing way to kill its prey. Watch the Falcon's attack HERE.

I believe some of Acrobat’s aspects were inspired by these aerial raptors and taking advantage of these powerful downward trajectories will give you flashy and lethal fighting tools. Notice how these downward trajectories help to expand a sequence of attacks and how the always-flashy Spiral Edge could be so effective supposing your opponent ran out of his ground-level evasive skills. The flight will make you fly like a falcon.

(;])
Again, as a newbie, understanding these fundamentals will help you create your own, reasonable and spontaneous combo by being versatile on your skill-succession. Your combos don’t need to be fancy. They need to be effective. Lifting up your opponent and retaining your opponent's suspension is the key for this. Understanding these concepts will help you so much to perform combos and discover some tricks   while keeping your fundamentals intact!

Cheers!

This is a comprehensive approach for anyone who wants to learn more about executing combinations in PVP! It will help you understand your combos better rather than imitating something and losing the concept of the fundamentals on the process.

Dear OP, if you were fighting a mirror match with your acro, how would you explain the way to counter/cancel the enemy effectively?

#74 Meteorite

Meteorite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2510 posts
  • DN, Holywood
  • w3w

Posted 29 November 2013 - 08:06 PM

View Postvvvgod, on 29 November 2013 - 09:29 AM, said:

Dear OP, if you were fighting a mirror match with your acro, how would you explain the way to counter/cancel the enemy effectively?

Knowing your skills' SA, SA break, and i-frame time is essential in a mirror match.

#75 Malygris

Malygris

Extraordinary Member

• Members
  • 12817 posts
  • PapaThor
  • DN, Desmodeus

Posted 30 November 2013 - 07:01 AM

any tips on how to defeat guardians? thanks!

#76 Meteorite

Meteorite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2510 posts
  • DN, Holywood
  • w3w

Posted 30 November 2013 - 08:47 AM

View PostMalygris, on 30 November 2013 - 07:01 AM, said:

any tips on how to defeat guardians? thanks!

Waste their AE and combo them until they die in the beginning of the round. If you didn't succeed, you're much likely 60% dead because he will just wait and block all your attacks or any more gay tactics (I met a gay pro guardian [they said he was a pro lulz] and he did this the whole round. So yeah, decent guardians know how to abuse their blocking tactics). This is KoF point of view and I think you're pointing out Ladder which is more difficult so, errrm, good luck? (:>)

ish much easier to kill paladins in softban lulz

Edited by Meteorite, 30 November 2013 - 08:51 AM.

#77 Malygris

Malygris

Extraordinary Member

• Members
  • 12817 posts
  • PapaThor
  • DN, Desmodeus

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:14 PM

View PostMeteorite, on 30 November 2013 - 08:47 AM, said:

Waste their AE and combo them until they die in the beginning of the round. If you didn't succeed, you're much likely 60% dead because he will just wait and block all your attacks or any more gay tactics (I met a gay pro guardian [they said he was a pro lulz] and he did this the whole round. So yeah, decent guardians know how to abuse their blocking tactics). This is KoF point of view and I think you're pointing out Ladder which is more difficult so, errrm, good luck? (:>)

ish much easier to kill paladins in softban lulz
oh you mean gay guardian force? (:D)

i am not good at "wasting" AE and i have developed a sense of dread because of justice crash. luckily, i have met few guardians so far.

thanks to this guide and the help of the good people here, i managed to reach 1855 ratings with my WW.
Posted Image
incidentally, that elestra died of poison due to GD plate. (:D) i think i am one OP elestra skill away from losing.

speaking of OP skills, what's the most effective way to avoid freezing sword and freezing field (what's the exact range of this? 3/4 the ladder map?) if you happen to be within range? thanks!

#78 Glacie

Glacie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5190 posts
  • Centio, Physician
  • DN, Springwood
  • LINELife, Lurking

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:52 PM

View PostMalygris, on 05 December 2013 - 08:14 PM, said:

oh you mean gay guardian force? br=
i am not good at "wasting" AE and i have developed a sense of dread because of justice crash. luckily, i have met few guardians so far.

thanks to this guide and the help of the good people here, i managed to reach 1855 ratings with my WW.
Posted Image
incidentally, that elestra died of poison due to GD plate. am=
speaking of OP skills, what's the most effective way to avoid freezing sword and freezing field (what's the exact range of this? 3/4 the ladder map?) if you happen to be within range? thanks!

Um I-frames? Even normal tumble. Timing is the key. FS EX is probably the more  annoying one. Although a good way is to just keep wacking since these 2 skills don't really have strong SA.

Circle shot, tumble, CT etc.

#79 Malygris

Malygris

Extraordinary Member

• Members
  • 12817 posts
  • PapaThor
  • DN, Desmodeus

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:46 PM

View PostGlacie, on 05 December 2013 - 08:52 PM, said:

Um I-frames? Even normal tumble. Timing is the key. FS EX is probably the more  annoying one. Although a good way is to just keep wacking since these 2 skills don't really have strong SA.
yeah i noticed they can easily be cancelled by twin and multishot. so do i go close quarters with elestra?

#80 Meteorite

Meteorite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2510 posts
  • DN, Holywood
  • w3w

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:08 PM

View PostMalygris, on 05 December 2013 - 09:46 PM, said:

yeah i noticed they can easily be cancelled by twin and multishot.

Yes they are but you must react fast to cancel it.

View PostMalygris, on 05 December 2013 - 09:46 PM, said:

so do i go close quarters with elestra?

Not all the time. She can disable you with Frozen Spikes EX.

Tip: Abuse SK EX's and Chain Trampoline's long i-frames. It dodges most Elestra's Skills (Don't do it in Showtime tho. It burns a lot of mana)

Edit: I forgot you're a PLDT user like me (sorry) Goodluck on abusing i-frames

Edited by Meteorite, 05 December 2013 - 10:10 PM.