Dragon Nest Lifehack (Make The Dn World A Better Place)

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Valierre

Valierre

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Elliesia
  • DN, Holywood
  • PettanChronicle

Posted 02 March 2015 - 03:19 AM

Talking about configurations, I've always had a problem where my laptop(old, tired) heats up so bad it shuts down. It hasn't even been an hour sometimes. Apparently only DN has caused this so far (Tried playing PSO2, Borderlands Pre:Sequel, DotA). Is there any configurations that can...well, nerf the performance/memory usage? (I'm just assuming this might help, I'm not really a tech person (T.T) )

Well..until I find enough money to replace this old buddy.

#22 MajesticQ

MajesticQ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1224 posts
  • Merigold
  • Team Triss

Posted 10 March 2015 - 12:02 PM

View PostValierre, on 02 March 2015 - 03:19 AM, said:

Talking about configurations, I've always had a problem where my laptop(old, tired) heats up so bad it shuts down. It hasn't even been an hour sometimes. Apparently only DN has caused this so far (Tried playing PSO2, Borderlands Pre:Sequel, DotA). Is there any configurations that can...well, nerf the performance/memory usage? (I'm just assuming this might help, I'm not really a tech person (T.T) )

Well..until I find enough money to replace this old buddy.

Been playing Borderlands 2 since 2013 and the PhysX of elemental goo and long duration of Deathtrap often crashes the game.

With how Dragon Nest works, it was made to be compatible with older systems. That and the recent content that caters more robust rigs is a problem I call 'DN game engine and/or configuration is old'.

Their engine is proprietary and their own so it's up to them to update the engine. But, updating the engine and creating game contents is too much work for ED.

Back when I had an old lappy, Borderlands 2 was heating-it up to the point I got concerned. It's hotter than 1 p.m. afternoon heatwave. That only means that I can't play for long hours and have to take mandatory breaks.

Edited by MajesticQ, 10 March 2015 - 12:02 PM.

#23 inyongthegr8

inyongthegr8

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 318 posts
  • McYongers, SubaruEcks
  • DN, Springwood
  • SolFuscus

Posted 23 April 2015 - 08:19 AM

View PostMajesticQ, on 12 January 2015 - 03:44 PM, said:

“A Request to Disable the Desktop Window Manager was made by Process (Dragon Nest)”. This is not an error. However, it leads to an error Event ID 1001 and 1002. Check the picture below:

Posted Image

Before the error, I was performing an alt+tab or application switching. It seems DWM is not compatible with Dragon Nest and may lead to a deadlock because the former occupies the front-buffer and the latter needs to lock the front buffer for read-back or some other purpose. A solution to this are:

1. Disable Windows Composition [DragonNest.exe>Application>Compatibility> Check Disable]. However, an alt-tab/switch to a windows with ‘GDI only’ settings may create an error. Al-tab is still risky.
2. Disable windows desktop manager in ‘services.msc’ or ‘msconfig’. Alt-tab may still cause an error
3. Disable all applications which render ‘GDI only’ as a setting, if there’s a possibility that it will be opened. Safe but too much work and precautions.
4. Don’t open any applications other than Dragon Nest. Safest method.

From certain readings display scaling on high DPI setting should also be disabled. The reason seems that many applications are not compatible with it. Just do it.

There are separate cases of Event ID 1001 and 1002 which are not connected to disabling of DWM.

EVENT ID 1002 or Top-level Window is Idle. It is an error. Its layman explanation is that the application stops responding to the system for some seconds and is dropped by the system and is unrecoverable. The game/software could be doing something, waiting for an I/O or for something to finish-up or maybe totally hangs.

DWM actually helps in informing this by making a ghost copy of the application and a notice that ‘Dragon Nest is not Responding. Close the program or Wait for the program to Respond/Reset the application’. Unfortunately, it works only when DWM is enabled and the game is in window mode. This is very important when it comes to nests and pvp, because when the error occurs in normal mode, it is perceived as lag when in fact it is a disconnection. The windows error window appears late or not at all.

My Recommendation: Enable DWM and Play in Window Mode.

I think the best solution, correct me if I'm wrong, would be setting the compatibility level to Windows XP or Windows Vista, it should not make alt tab very risky instead of disabling DWM :D

Tried and tested in Windows 10 and Windows 7. This will prevent most random crashes in Dragon Nest to happen. The examples given are the post game PVP, crashes while in dungeon/nest/raid/PVP. Because if you set the compatibility level, it will not perform a fast user switching, thus, it will treat DN as if you are doing a windowed fullscreen :) (Of course, make sure that you are on a native resultion, but it works on the non native resolution)

#24 MajesticQ

MajesticQ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1224 posts
  • Merigold
  • Team Triss

Posted 23 April 2015 - 04:21 PM

View Postinyongthegr8, on 23 April 2015 - 08:19 AM, said:

I think the best solution, correct me if I'm wrong, would be setting the compatibility level to Windows XP or Windows Vista, it should not make alt tab very risky instead of disabling DWM :D

Tried and tested in Windows 10 and Windows 7. This will prevent most random crashes in Dragon Nest to happen. The examples given are the post game PVP, crashes while in dungeon/nest/raid/PVP. Because if you set the compatibility level, it will not perform a fast user switching, thus, it will treat DN as if you are doing a windowed fullscreen :) (Of course, make sure that you are on a native resultion, but it works on the non native resolution)

Now that I've re-encountered my tl:dr text, I'll rework on it and make the recommendation more clear.

On topic, I never made compatibility to XP and Vista because those have no effect on my end. But if it helps players, tweaking that may be alright.

#25 inyongthegr8

inyongthegr8

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 318 posts
  • McYongers, SubaruEcks
  • DN, Springwood
  • SolFuscus

Posted 27 April 2015 - 12:35 AM

View PostMajesticQ, on 23 April 2015 - 04:21 PM, said:

Now that I've re-encountered my tl:dr text, I'll rework on it and make the recommendation more clear.

On topic, I never made compatibility to XP and Vista because those have no effect on my end. But if it helps players, tweaking that may be alright.

Same here it has no effect on my end (Win8.1) too. :D I tried it with my girlfriend's pc, having a hard time alt-tabbing (sometimes crashing) and it resolves her issue.

Cheers. (:]) (cake)

#26 kryptnyt

kryptnyt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 01:41 AM

All this just to play a damn game... @_@

#27 Luxtroll

Luxtroll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2963 posts
  • Xero
  • DN, Springwood
  • Soloist Expert

Posted 30 April 2015 - 01:57 AM

View Postkryptnyt, on 30 April 2015 - 01:41 AM, said:

All this just to play a damn game... @_@
It does come at a price tho..

You want a fluid gameplay with less to near zero delays and lags, a lamb must be sacrificed..

#28 inyongthegr8

inyongthegr8

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 318 posts
  • McYongers, SubaruEcks
  • DN, Springwood
  • SolFuscus

Posted 12 August 2015 - 04:15 PM

Do take note that my techniques provided will not work in Windows 10. (Including the registry that requires you to register an application to use shims)