12 replies to this topic

#1 piotrj3

piotrj3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • TIME2TANK, firecaster

Posted 19 October 2016 - 05:45 PM

Thanks to stupid argue with Dargunz I got angry enough and decided to write a big guide.

Where is the problem?
So if boss/player/other raid player/enemy cast skill for 1st time, then it has to loaded from disk. It is loaded specificly from TempRes folder. Problem is even SSD isn't normally fast enough to load it instant, especially when system/antivirus is doing something in background. It is removing freezes from rather mid-high end computers or stronger.

What is the solution?
If you have 8GB or more of RAM you can put files from TempRes into your memory by force. There is utility called Ramdisk and it allows you to put those files in RAM. Generally you should not try this guide if you have less then 8GB of RAM.

Who benefits the most?
1st slow hdd users
2nd normal hdd users
3rd SSD old gen users
4th "current" gen SSD users.

Generally if you don't expierience lag from 1st use of skill it is helpful very little but if you do, it removes any lag from it completly.

Why not put entire DragonNest in RamDisk?
Good luck putting 8GB>> game in ramdisk. Anything that is loaded during playtime (not loading) is loaded from TempRes.

Can I use diffrent software for Ramdisk?
Yes! Actually i think SoftPerfect RAM disk is even better then one i present in video. Problem is you have to select option "emulate hard drive" to do mapping trick I present in video. If you plan using even diffrent tool for that, and you don't see new disk in disk manager then you have to dig into options. Probably there is possibity to map non hard drive disk into game folder as I did but so far I was unsuccesful (only diskpart from CMD is able to do so and this tool may do bad things to your drive if you do something wrong). Symlinks doesn't appear to work.

Where is guide?
HERE
https://www.youtube....h?v=R79bJMQ_nVE

What happens when you restart computer?
Disk will continue to be mapped right way under the same letter. All files from Ramdisk will be removed tho so it means game will rebuild TempRes on 1st usage after restarting.

How about Samsung's Magician RAPID mode?
Described in video (I am samsung SSD user as well), It doesn't work so well.

How Ramdisk works?
It is "driver" level utility that fools system into thinking we created new partition but in reality driver reserved RAM memory space. It means the bigger RAMdisk you create, the more RAM you lose when ramdisk is active. If you unmount Ramdisk, all your Ram goes back. Generally i never seen TempRes folder to be bigger then 400MB, so kinda you can create safely 500MB (8GB of ram becomes ->7.5GB of ram) The bigger disk you create the more RAM you lose.

I recommend as well to add both ramdisk partion to exclusions for antivirus as well new created TempRes folder.

Thanks to:
Freeze, Milem, Venour for beta testing
Dargunz for making me thinking about that. http://forum.cherryc...breaks-freezes/
XD

PS: If some kind of "official" can aprove this guide It would be great.

Edited by piotrj3, 19 October 2016 - 06:31 PM.

#2 piotrj3

piotrj3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • TIME2TANK, firecaster

Posted 19 October 2016 - 06:08 PM

<Reserved>
Symlinks doesn't do their job somehow.
So don't try to use mklink /D option instead of trick I posted in video!

Edited by piotrj3, 19 October 2016 - 06:37 PM.

#3 Verbena

Verbena

• 619 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 07:27 PM

Hoho, why don't you crosspost this in SEA?

#4 piotrj3

piotrj3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • TIME2TANK, firecaster

Posted 19 October 2016 - 07:48 PM

Maybe if i had more people confirming it works, then yes. But so far I prefer to not.

#5 Verbena

Verbena

• 619 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 08:01 PM

View Postpiotrj3, on 19 October 2016 - 07:48 PM, said:

Maybe if i had more people confirming it works, then yes. But so far I prefer to not.

Unfortunately I can't be a tester because my game doesn't crash or freeze or lags, but if it has helped at least a few I would consider it a success.

The real question here is, what are the risks of the process and possible consequences?

#6 piotrj3

piotrj3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • TIME2TANK, firecaster

Posted 19 October 2016 - 08:12 PM

According to Microsoft, none. Making things this way makes "newly" created tempres look no diffrent to orginal tempres folder. No matter what program you take, for any program/game/aplication this folder looks like normal folder for program. If you give windows command to create folder like
mkdir C:\blablabla\Dragon Nest\TempRes\NewFolder
Then folder will be made F:\NewFolder
If you want to access file from there it will be accessed from F:\
There is no way game can see a diffrence between using old or new folder unless it specificly check parametrs of folder what is totally unnecessery (there is no need game should do so).

And even if something goes wrong, you can delete newly created mapping just by shift+del, restart game and former TempRes folder will be recreated, without any consequences.

#7 Weapon7

Weapon7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 08:41 PM

omg is dis an active mod? are you a "sea" mod? if so can we exchange all dnms+qas+forums mods for you?

sry for the spam...

#8 Soullo

Soullo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts
  • StardustAX
  • DN, Desmodeus
  • Blackout

Posted 20 October 2016 - 03:04 AM

I tested this, and it works for me too. I always run this with minimum specs to avoid lag, even in medium (and texture quality high) i had some issue especially in raid. Instead with maximum i only lagged too much to do something.

After this guide i tried high specs before, and it lagged just a bit but this because of my pc and it was playable. Instead medium now run really smooth without problem.
Very thanks t2t^^

A question, is there a way to avoid doing this every time i start my computer or not? Or just a way to save the image so when i start ramdisk it will load automatically?

Edited by Soullo, 20 October 2016 - 03:22 AM.

#9 piotrj3

piotrj3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • TIME2TANK, firecaster

Posted 20 October 2016 - 07:52 AM

It will load automaticly, just sometimes without files inside it. But in that case DN will auto rebuild then during 1st loading screen so don't worry.

#10 Dargunz

Dargunz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • DN, Desmodeus
  • Connect

Posted 20 October 2016 - 07:55 AM

What I've noticed from testing this workaround out is that Resource00.pak will actually still use a lot of storage bandwidth at the early start of client-up time. Especially when certain skills are used for the very first time. I tried changing up my workaround due to this and created a symbolic link from Resource00.pak, which I moved into the RAMDisk (540MB) from my HDD, to the Dragon Nest test server folder.

This created a bigger early start client performance boost, but I have not tested it outside of PvP, however.

Because of this I'm actually unsure now if character animations and effects are actually located in the TempRes folder. However, I do know that removing the TempRes folder, while the game is running, will break all character animations so I am curious about the folder's purpose.

To put it short: Removing TempRes while client is up will break character animations, but putting Resource00.pak in RAMDisk will speed up character animation loading time.

Edited by Dargunz, 20 October 2016 - 07:58 AM.

#11 Jonaaaaaaathan

Jonaaaaaaathan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Diocampo
  • DN, Springwood
  • Vermillion

Posted 10 January 2017 - 10:20 AM

I would love to try this by the time I get to have an upgrade with my RAM. Many thanks mate, a really helpful thread you just made right there.

But 1 question though, you are about to transfer Tempres to RAMDisk which is in a separate drive from DN Folder, wouldn't this stop the game from launching ? Dnlauncher wouldn't be able to locate this Tempres because it is being transferred to another drive(RAMDisk).

I've no idea what this tempres is for.

PS: I am stupid.

Edited by Jonaaaaaaathan, 10 January 2017 - 10:29 AM.

#12 Weapon7

Weapon7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:31 PM

View PostJonaaaaaaathan, on 10 January 2017 - 10:20 AM, said:

I would love to try this by the time I get to have an upgrade with my RAM. Many thanks mate, a really helpful thread you just made right there.

But 1 question though, you are about to transfer Tempres to RAMDisk which is in a separate drive from DN Folder, wouldn't this stop the game from launching ? Dnlauncher wouldn't be able to locate this Tempres because it is being transferred to another drive(RAMDisk).

I've no idea what this tempres is for.

PS: I am stupid.

Do you have a blothel called BloodPetel?

#13 Jonaaaaaaathan

Jonaaaaaaathan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Diocampo
  • DN, Springwood
  • Vermillion

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:23 AM

View PostWeapon7, on 10 January 2017 - 09:31 PM, said:

Do you have a blothel called BloodPetel?

I've no idea what that is.
- I still am waiting for an answer