Reason for posting this in GD instead of Abuse Report is to notify as many people as possible (are people seriously still unaware of this???).
I've reported this issue before here. Oh wow time flies, it has almost been a year, nice.
Anyway, it has happened at least twice these two days, once to me yesterday, and once to a new player (he birded, so I got interested) today.
The scam (of course, there are many variations but...):
1. Impersonator sees you birding/selling something
2. Impersonator PMs you, asking you to go to 'their' channel i.e. where the real character they're impersonating is AFKing
3. Impersonator asks you to pass the money/item over to him first. If you're skeptical, s/he'll tell you to inspect their items
4a. You get scammed
Time to cry in a corner, pack your bags, delete your character and erase your existence from the faces of this planet.
BUT WAIT, IT DOESN'T HAVE TO END THAT WAY IF YOU JUST
4b. (ideally) i. Click on the IGN PMing you (in chat, not the AFK character) > Save name
formatting is bijii. Go to Cash Shop > Gift any item > Paste the IGN in recipient > Check
formatting is bijiii. (If you're wary of the Cash Shop method i.e. o god is this another scam) Paste the IGN in Colosseum Ranking Search, then cross check with the IGN of the AFKing character (i.e. repeat save name > colo ranking method with the actual character)
1. If some 'trusted' character is PMing you, save their name (in chat) and check if it's an impersonator
2. If an offer sounds too good to be true, it probably is
3. If the person will only PM you, he's probably hiding away in Mana Ridge or Prairie Town
4. If you wish to play safe, make dummy characters to block out variations of your IGN
5. Note that the same impersonation tactics can be applied to guilds as well (i.e. VongolaVN and VongoIaVN)
Other stuff that may or may not be relevant
Edited by Sot, 15 July 2017 - 03:08 PM.