18 replies to this topic

#1 Sot

Sot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2000 posts
  • DN, Springwood

Posted 02 February 2017 - 03:38 PM

This is a PSA regarding impersonators using other geared characters' names attempting to scam.
Reason for posting this in GD instead of Abuse Report is to notify as many people as possible (are people seriously still unaware of this???).

I've reported this issue before here. Oh wow time flies, it has almost been a year, nice.

Anyway, it has happened at least twice these two days, once to me yesterday, and once to a new player (he birded, so I got interested) today.

The scam (of course, there are many variations but...):
1. Impersonator sees you birding/selling something
2. Impersonator PMs you, asking you to go to 'their' channel i.e. where the real character they're impersonating is AFKing
3. Impersonator asks you to pass the money/item over to him first. If you're skeptical, s/he'll tell you to inspect their items
4a. You get scammed
Time to cry in a corner, pack your bags, delete your character and erase your existence from the faces of this planet.

BUT WAIT, IT DOESN'T HAVE TO END THAT WAY IF YOU JUST
4b. (ideally) i. Click on the IGN PMing you (in chat, not the AFK character) > Save name
formatting is bijii. Go to Cash Shop > Gift any item > Paste the IGN in recipient > Check
formatting is bijiii. (If you're wary of the Cash Shop method i.e. o god is this another scam) Paste the IGN in Colosseum Ranking Search, then cross check with the IGN of the AFKing character (i.e. repeat save name > colo ranking method with the actual character)

TL;DR:
1. If some 'trusted' character is PMing you, save their name (in chat) and check if it's an impersonator
2. If an offer sounds too good to be true, it probably is
3. If the person will only PM you, he's probably hiding away in Mana Ridge or Prairie Town
4. If you wish to play safe, make dummy characters to block out variations of your IGN
5. Note that the same impersonation tactics can be applied to guilds as well (i.e. VongolaVN and VongoIaVN)

Other stuff that may or may not be relevant
Spoiler

Edited by Sot, 15 July 2017 - 03:08 PM.

#2 KusudamaKirigami

KusudamaKirigami

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1274 posts
  • Eirawen
  • DN, Westwood
  • HolyOrder

Posted 03 February 2017 - 01:30 PM

Things like this make me worry. Especially when someone that has a bit same ign as mine(even same class but a lowbie) pm-ed me. He suddenly just said a Philippine Actor's name and never replied back. Like he's just confirming if I'm online or not. But that can be just me being paranoid.

#3 Sot

Sot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2000 posts
  • DN, Springwood

Posted 03 February 2017 - 03:16 PM

View PostKusudamaKirigami, on 03 February 2017 - 01:30 PM, said:

Things like this make me worry. Especially when someone that has a bit same ign as mine(even same class but a lowbie) pm-ed me. He suddenly just said a Philippine Actor's name and never replied back. Like he's just confirming if I'm online or not. But that can be just me being paranoid.
I'm just curious who the impersonator(s) are, cuz I get the feeling they're not total strangers to the actual characters. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be a priority in CC's list of issues so the only thing we can do right now is spread awareness buuuuuuuuut then again most players don't even visit the forums.

is someone holding a grudge against you or sth cuz like the hacking issue and now this. hopefully it's just you being paranoid `-`

#4 Riuga

Riuga

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 970 posts
  • iRiuga
  • DN, Holywood
  • Programmers

Posted 03 February 2017 - 03:38 PM

I am not sure if you can still create characters with 'special characters' in their IGNs, but regardless, you should at least be wary of those who used Cyrillic (Russian) characters in their IGNs in order to impersonate others from back in the days when it was possible to use 'special characters' in IGNs.

The Cyrillic alphabet contains characters that look identical to those in English, including 'a', 'A', 'с', 'С', 'T', 'М', 'e', 'Е', 'о', 'О', 'р', 'Р', 'В', 'Н', 'К', 'у', 'х', 'Х' (most of these are actual Cyrillic characters as I typed most of them using a Russian keyboard setting). Note that some letters here are missing either their capitalized or lower-case forms. This is because their other form does not resemble an English character. For instance, 'У', the capitalization of 'y' in Cyrillic, does not remotely resemble the English 'Y'.

Again, you can avoid getting scammed by doing what Sot mentioned, however I am simply trying to say that impersonators are not limited to just different forms of 'L' and 'i'.

You can also use Cyrillic characters in order to bypass the chat filter by replacing just one character of a censored word with a Cyrillic counterpart.

Edited by Riuga, 03 February 2017 - 04:01 PM.

#5 Sot

Sot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2000 posts
  • DN, Springwood

Posted 06 July 2017 - 02:13 AM

holy necro cuz people are still falling for dis apparently

#6 Nvin

Nvin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Lorallite
  • DN, Springwood
  • QUEENS Guild

Posted 06 July 2017 - 02:36 AM

View PostSot, on 06 July 2017 - 02:13 AM, said:

holy necro cuz people are still falling for dis apparently

Posted Image

Kidding aside, should I try to reserve my IGN's other formats :< It seems these posers never run out of ideas :V

#7 Sot

Sot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2000 posts
  • DN, Springwood

Posted 06 July 2017 - 03:29 AM

View PostNvin, on 06 July 2017 - 02:36 AM, said:

Kidding aside, should I try to reserve my IGN's other formats :< It seems these posers never run out of ideas :V
depends on how paranoid you are? I'm just hoping CC will do something about this but by this point I suppose you could call me a dreamer :v

#8 Hikigaya

Hikigaya

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Syrian001
  • DN, Westwood
  • Ethereals

Posted 09 July 2017 - 10:12 AM

That's a short list. But since this thread is created i suppose they'll be lying low as of now?

#9 Sot

Sot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2000 posts
  • DN, Springwood

Posted 10 July 2017 - 12:31 AM

View PostHikihappya, on 09 July 2017 - 10:12 AM, said:

That's a short list. But since this thread is created i suppose they'll be lying low as of now?
the list is short because I only add those I know of, and no one else contributes so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (not that it'd be that helpful even if others did contribute)

anyway, the purpose of this thread is to spread awareness of the issue. again, not that it's actually helpful or anything, since most of the dn population doesn't even visit the forums? I don't understand why CC can make a post to warn players about DNP scamming (which is supposedly a grey area in the game abuse policy) but does nothing about this (when this problem was indirectly created by the font change when VN server was brought over to CC) hmmmm..
already did what I can as a common pleb, but my attempts were repeatedly ignored, so we just gotta hope the victims get smarter lul

#10 Sot

Sot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2000 posts
  • DN, Springwood

Posted 15 July 2017 - 04:13 AM

bumping this again cuz toxic people still getting scammed and getting pissed at me when I ask them how they get scammed smh

#11 SorceressHater

SorceressHater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6988 posts
  • Save Our Last Goodbye
  • DN, Holywood

Posted 15 July 2017 - 08:57 AM

bump. cuz just now someone got pissed for almost being scammed. Glad he understood and apologized to the real IGN for birding him / her earlier.

#12 FirePhoenix

FirePhoenix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3766 posts
  • zArAthena/zArSuika
  • DN, Holywood
  • VongolaVN

Posted 15 July 2017 - 10:19 AM

Yes, this happen a lot to my guild when scammer pretend to be our member with similar IGN and go around scamming.
Please make sure you check the IGN carefully by Cash shop gifting/Colosseum ranking or inviting him into the party. And please never send gold/item through mail (unless you are super sure about that is the real one), only do that via trade directly face to face.

#13 Nvin

Nvin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Lorallite
  • DN, Springwood
  • QUEENS Guild

Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:48 AM

I think this can also happen when some scammers are using famous players signature prefix or suffix then pretends to be them.

View PostFirePhoenix, on 15 July 2017 - 10:19 AM, said:

-snip-

Hi Pheo, In reference of the above, can I ask if you have other characters on different guilds? Coz' I remember seeing some characters using the prefix "zAr" but they are on a different guild.

#14 FirePhoenix

FirePhoenix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3766 posts
  • zArAthena/zArSuika
  • DN, Holywood
  • VongolaVN

Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:08 PM

View PostNvin, on 15 July 2017 - 11:48 AM, said:

Hi Pheo, In reference of the above, can I ask if you have other characters on different guilds? Coz' I remember seeing some characters using the prefix "zAr" but they are on a different guild.
Hi.
I do have some subs char on other guild. But to be safe, only dealing with zAr from VongolaVN, or even more, only dealing with my main zArAthena for important/large amount transaction. (still need to check if that is impersonators or not)

#15 Sot

Sot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2000 posts
  • DN, Springwood

Posted 15 July 2017 - 03:06 PM

View PostFirePhoenix, on 15 July 2017 - 10:19 AM, said:

Please make sure you check the IGN carefully by Cash shop gifting/Colosseum ranking or inviting him into the party. And please never send gold/item through mail (unless you are super sure about that is the real one), only do that via trade directly face to face.
tried telling this to the guy who was spamming bird yesterday, he kept asking "why so defensive?" then proceeded to claim he traded the real AkoMegumi at ch7 from VongolaVN. when I asked if he had any evidence, he went back to the "why so defensive?" thing. it was only 1k gold, why would the real AkoMegumi even bother lul (unless reverse mindfuckery is involved here then k you got me)
sometimes I wonder if I'm talking to the impersonator who wishes to discredit the actual person they're impersonating, cuz people can't be that tarded, right????????

#16 FirePhoenix

FirePhoenix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3766 posts
  • zArAthena/zArSuika
  • DN, Holywood
  • VongolaVN

Posted 15 July 2017 - 04:09 PM

View PostSot, on 15 July 2017 - 03:06 PM, said:

tried telling this to the guy who was spamming bird yesterday, he kept asking "why so defensive?" then proceeded to claim he traded the real AkoMegumi at ch7 from VongolaVN. when I asked if he had any evidence, he went back to the "why so defensive?" thing. it was only 1k gold, why would the real AkoMegumi even bother lul (unless reverse mindfuckery is involved here then k you got me)
sometimes I wonder if I'm talking to the impersonator who wishes to discredit the actual person they're impersonating, cuz people can't be that tarded, right????????
Thank for your effort. And you should never underestimate human stupidity
Posted Image

#17 BlazingSkies

BlazingSkies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1288 posts
  • Blazenblue
  • DN, Desmodeus
  • Hegemony (Springwood-Original)

Posted 22 July 2017 - 08:16 AM

Bumping this thread again, still many peeps are falling for this trap.

#18 Nvin

Nvin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Lorallite
  • DN, Springwood
  • QUEENS Guild

Posted 31 July 2017 - 02:29 AM

OH MY THIS CAN'T BE HAPPENING, I am not even famous (LMAO). It sounds like my ign, but mine has double "L" (sob) (sob) (sob) (sob) (oo) (oo) (oo)

Posted Image

Edited by Nvin, 31 July 2017 - 02:31 AM.

#19 Sot

Sot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2000 posts
  • DN, Springwood

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:24 PM

so the general trend seems to be:
1. gets scammed by impersonator
2. be rude to people trying to explain the scam