57 replies to this topic

#1 ShineFactor

ShineFactor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 02:28 AM

Here's an abn run I quickly did after maxing her on cdn :

Along with a rotation video (outdated, better refer to the idn run below for more suitable showcase) :

If you got any question regarding the gameplay and black mara overall, I will try to answer the best I can

Posted Image

Since she's coming very soon, I will post my skill build here, I'm using the A spark build to make enhancement contract gathering easier (lv 1 is enough unlike B spark build which requires to max it because of the board dmg increase)

https://dnskillsim.h...B-0--0--0-0-0-0

Do take note of the fact that most skills don't have any dmg spike at some lv like most classes, which is why I kept lv 12 ripping and lv 6 entomb (thinking of letting ripping at lv 7 to max entomb lately)

As for different builds, I've been thinking about it and there are so far 3 I can think of :

Enhancement contract build : lv 1 ebony spark A + Haze A => as described above, allows to max other fillers such as turbulence and insult

Versatile build : haze B + ebony spark B
=>keeping the double grouned haze while taking advantage of ebony spark B (right click variation's board dmg x7)
This build will make it easier for you to move as a mara, in many situations, as mara can use air blink and rc ebony spark makes you airborn

Example : void coil => spacebar (turbulence) => ripping => air blink + right click => left click (insult)

This kind of combo can reach its fullest potential with the third build (aerial build), same as the 2nd one except that you use haze A instead, haze A allows fast airborn usage of haze , good to end that kind of aerial combo and follow with enhancement contract + xform setup

Problem with these 2 builds is that you will have to choose between maxing insult/turbulence or investing some sp in ripping and entomb, this is truly up to your preference.

Idn 4 man norm run :

Make sure you read the description before asking questions

as for iframes :

Haze (2 slashs skill) : iframe during teleport, requires to press a direction to teleport, none will be straight slash

Wraith form : didn't use it much in that run, it wasnt necessary, you turn into smoke for a certain duration, iframe, heal + cd recovery, can be canceled anytime by anything

Ultimate : forgot the name, that's the thing you see at the beginning, with homing smoke, I used it to dodge several times, it is pretty accessible because of cm2 cd reduction

Nightmare black strike (line drive) : one of my favorite skills, it has iframe during the teleport back part

Inhale : emergency escape in normal form, a way to nuke and cancel the xform when transformed (you may see a scythe appearing on the floor when I did this transformed), the iframe starts as soon as you press the skill

As you may have noticed, black mara doesn't spend as much time as the other spin off classes transformed, her xform isn't a necessity but an asset to use in some situations, this allows her to switch between a ranged and a melee playstyle according to the situation.

Your main goal is still to gather bubbles as you will need at least 50 to xform, but it is recommanded to get 60 for something I will explain later.

Normal form mara has it easy when ranged but can be played melee under some conditions but with much more risk, her cm1, giving her the ability to use enhancement contract bubbles (yellow in the UI, up to 10) allows her to spam cleaving (fireball) and void coil (long range projectiles) instantly as long as you have enhancement contracts (1 used per skill), you do that by spamming left click after ripping (laser skill), much easier to use near to the target, it however leaves you vulnerable because the fireball animation is very unsafe, only the void coil animation of the enhancement contract is safe, which is why learning when to stop with  EC void coil is essential as it is the only one you can cancel with anything (tumble, haze, ultimate..), you could still cancel cleaving's animation with wraith form but it'd be a waste

So yeah, EC is the best way for you to gather bubbles, once you reach 50, you can xform, normal and nightmare skills dont share cd and using xform will actually reset the nightmare skills's cd, this is one arguement in favor of the hybrid mara and this is why inhale becomes very useful on top of its dmg ability.

I said to get 60 for another good reason as well, if you use regular smoke storm (skull mark on the floor, tornadoes with xform) you can actually keep getting bubbles while using xform as long as the target doesnt get out of it, not only it gives you additional transformation time if you need to, but it will also make your time easier to xform again as you will cancel the form with inhale and you'll have more remaining bubbles.

The other purpose of this is mainly to use the xform 2 times or even more (very rare), the xform itself has a board dmg of 7.9k% if you press backward (same animation as fm's meteor but with huge purple explosion), can be used to cancel anything even in the air, you see me doing this during punisher just before he does dps check, the dmg potential of the xform itself tends to make you switch between normal and black mara form as much as possible.
Your priority aside EC, in this setup will be xform + nm void coil, this one truly being your bnb dps (~11k%, cd reset with double xform setup)

As for the black mara form playstyle itself, she becomes a melee char, most of her ranged skills become melee :
Ripping (laser) becomes a scythe attack just like void coil (projectiles), and black strike (chilling mist animation) becomes a line drive

Using EC during xform is much easier because you have many ways to cancel it, but don't just mindlessly spam EC while you're xformed despite the fact that's it's your biggest and fastest burst, because switching between the 2 forms makes inhale on cd, and you need to take advantage of cm2 cd reduction and xform cd reset for nm skills, mostly nm void coil
(5sec cd recovery for ulti/inhale each time main skill, EC excluded, hits the target, both in normal and BM form)
Spamming contract till you have none will also force you to either gather contracts again, which could lower your dps if the target is movie due to the nature of insult, or simply make you spend more time gathering xform bubbles because you'd spend more time xformed and would actually require some more to recover the bubbles used due to that extra time spent in mara form (95 cap seems to get rid of that aspect with wheeling staff linkage tho)

So yes, once again contract is your best BURST (I insist on that because some think mara is all about left click, thinking and playing mara like this comes with a price, especially in rudn) and thus comes with downtime if used mindlessly, downtime you can get rid of by using the double xform setup as well as other nm skills, the most convenient ones being nm void coil and black strike (cleaving is good, but too slow and should only be used as a filler, smoke storm simply takes too long to deal its full board dmg, but never forget about those if you need to reduce inhale's cd.

=>make also use of the shards dropping from contract cleaving and the ability to cancel anything into xform to gain bubbles for a short period of time after transforming, allowing you to use it twice and benefit from the nm skills cd reset

Here's a recap of how to get EC and bubbles in general :

Insult (airborne skill, many projectiles) : 1ec per hit, your fastest way to acquire them, 15sec cd

Ebony spark A(flame spark) : additional hits gained with the A passive on the left click variation, up to 3 hits = 3 EC, 6sec cd

Haze : 2 hits (haze B), 1 EC each, haze isn't just a good dps skill, it's also your second tumble and one of your best iframe because of its cd

Turbulence : 2 hits, 1 EC per hit

Normal form skill (EC included) : creates black energy (bubbles for xform)per successful hit

Few more stuffs :

Entomb : that cloud you sometimes see, reacts to the main skill usage, throwing 2  homing projectiles per skill, mainly used before EC spam

Black mara : not only it has big damage on its own, but thanks to a passive (aftermath), it induces a 20% dmg debuff for 15sec

She also has an elemental debuff
=>meaningless : 10sec cd, 60sec duration

As for skill plates, I chose :
•Wraith form cd : all in one skill (self heal, cd recovery, iframe, cancels anything)
•Insult cd : your best way to gather EC bubbles on top of a great dps
•inhale cd : mara's core, using cd plate saves you from using 2 skills to completely recover its cd with sorc buff

Void coil dmg : because cleaving doesnt have dmg plate, regular, nm and nm ec ver are all very strong, that's why

Extra slot (optional) : black mara 20% dmg : because you can spam it easily and it doesn't cost you much if you do the proper setups

Hopefully it helped :)

Edited by ShineFactor, 15 May 2017 - 04:41 AM.

#2 Lindzu

Lindzu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 11:12 AM

low dmg dont you think ?

#3 Neolia

Neolia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 11:32 AM

View PostShineFactor, on 19 February 2017 - 02:28 AM, said:

Here's an abn run I quickly did after maxing her on cdn :

https://youtu.be/zBioqaKdIyE

If you got any question regarding the gameplay and black mara overall, I will try to answer the best I can

cmon abn norm xD 600k HP !!! class=

If you know what i mean ?

Edited by Neolia, 19 February 2017 - 11:33 AM.

#4 Seraphimu

Seraphimu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2417 posts
  • Ceraphimu/Seraphimu
  • DN, Westwood
  • Eden

Posted 19 February 2017 - 11:55 AM

Hi. Can you please provide us with an exhaustive list of i-frame skills that Black Mara has?
A little description (inclusive of dmg %, CD, i-frame duration, and your personal opinion too if you'd like) along with the skill name would be great as I have close to zero knowledge on the class. Thanks!

#5 zuyi

zuyi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2883 posts
  • zuyi
  • Hermit's Village

Posted 19 February 2017 - 11:57 AM

View PostLindzu, on 19 February 2017 - 11:12 AM, said:

low dmg dont you think ?

Bruh it's a skill showcase using no equipments, notice the hp?

All these people just wanna see 1 hit KOs

Posted Image

#6 zuyi

zuyi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2883 posts
  • zuyi
  • Hermit's Village

Posted 19 February 2017 - 12:00 PM

View PostSeraphimu, on 19 February 2017 - 11:55 AM, said:

Hi. Can you please provide us with an exhaustive list of i-frame skills that Black Mara has?
A little description (inclusive of dmg %, CD, i-frame duration, and your personal opinion too if you'd like) along with the skill name would be great as I have close to zero knowledge on the class. Thanks!

http://forum.cherryc...ions-board-dmg/

I think the iframes aren't listed, but other stuff is there.

Edited by zuyi, 19 February 2017 - 12:01 PM.

#7 ShineFactor

ShineFactor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 01:05 PM

View PostSeraphimu, on 19 February 2017 - 11:55 AM, said:

Moved everything to first post, edited a bit with additional things

Edited by ShineFactor, 15 May 2017 - 04:39 AM.

#8 Seraphimu

Seraphimu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2417 posts
  • Ceraphimu/Seraphimu
  • DN, Westwood
  • Eden

Posted 19 February 2017 - 10:14 PM

View PostShineFactor, on 19 February 2017 - 01:05 PM, said:

You can find most informations on the link Zuyi posted, as for iframe :

Haze (2 slashs skill) : iframe during teleport, requires to press a direction to teleport, none will be straight slash

Wraith form : didn't use it much in that run, it wasnt necessary, you turn into smoke for a certain duration, iframe, heal + cd recovery, can be canceled anytime by anything

Ultimate : forgot the name, that's the thing you see at the beginning, with homing smoke, I used it to dodge several times, it is pretty accessible because of cm2 cd reduction

Nightmare black strike (line drive) : one of my favorite skills, it has iframe during the charging part, not sure about the teleport back part

Inhale : emergency escape in normal form, a way to nuke and cancel the xform when transformed (you may see a scythe appearing on the floor when I did this transformed), the iframe starts as soon as you press the skill

As you may have noticed, black mara doesn't spend as much time as the other spin off classes transformed, her xform isn't a necessity but an asset to use in some situations, this allows her to switch between a ranged and a melee playstyle according to the situation.

Your main goal is still to gather bubbles as you will need at least 50 to xform, but it is recommanded to get 60 for something I will explain later.

Normal form mara has it easy when ranged but can be played melee under some conditions but with much more risk, her cm1, giving her the ability to use enhancement contract bubbles (yellow in the UI, up to 10) allows her to spam cleaving (fireball) and void coil (long range projectiles) instantly as long as you have enhancement contracts (1 used per skill), you do that by spamming left click after ripping (laser skill), much easier to use near to the target, it however leaves you vulnerable because the fireball animation is very unsafe, only the void coil animation of the enhancement contract is safe, which is why learning when to stop with  EC void coil is essential as it is the only one you can cancel with anything (tumble, haze, ultimate..), you could still cancel cleaving's animation with wraith form but it'd be a waste

So yeah, EC is the best way for you to gather bubbles, once you reach 50, you can xform, normal and nightmare skills dont share cd and using xform will actually reset the nightmare skills's cd, this is one arguement in favor of the hybrid mara and this is why inhale becomes very useful on top of its dmg ability.

I said to get 60 for another good reason as well, if you use regular smoke storm (skull mark on the floor, tornadoes with xform) you can actually keep getting bubbles while using xform as long as the target doesnt get out of it, not only it gives you additional transformation time if you need to, but it will also make your time easier to xform again as you will cancel the form with inhale and you'll have more remaining bubbles.

The other purpose of this is mainly to use the xform 2 times or even more (very rare), the xform itself has a board dmg of 7.9k% if you press backward (same animation as fm's meteor but with huge purple explosion), can be used to cancel anything even in the air, you see me doing this during punisher just before he does dps check, the dmg potential of the xform itself tends to make you switch between normal and black mara form as much as possible.

As for the black mara form playstyle itself, she becomes a melee char, most of her ranged skills become melee :
Ripping (laser) becomes a scythe attack just like void coil (projectiles), and black strike (chilling mist animation) becomes a line drive

Using EC during xform is much easier because you have many ways to cancel it, but don't just mindlessly spam EC while you're xformed despite the fact that's it's your biggest and fastest burst, because switching between the 2 forms makes inhale on cd, and you need to take advantage of cm2 cd reduction (5sec cd recovery for ulti/inhale each time main skill, EC excluded, hits the target, both in normal and BM form)

Insult (airborn skill, many projectiles) : 1ec per hit, your fastest way to acquire them, 15sec cd

Ebony spark B(flame spark) : additional hits gained with the B passive, up to 3 hits = 3 EC, 6sec cd

Haze : 2 hits, 1 EC each, haze isn't just a good dps skill, it's also your second tumble and one of your best iframe because of its cd

Normal form skill (EC included) : creates black energy (bubbles for xform)per successful hit

Few more stuffs :

Entomb : that cloud you sometimes see, reacts to the main skill usage, throwing 2  homing projectiles per skill, mainly used before EC spam

Black mara : not only it has big damage on its own, but thanks to a passive (aftermath), it induces a 20% dmg debuff for 15sec

As for plate choice, I'd definitely go for wraith form/smoke storm cd, but for the 2 other plates I don't know yet, maybe insult cd and  MP recovery plate due to wraith form's MP consumption ? (20k)

PS : made a rotation video in btg, I will post it as soon as it's uploaded

Great, thanks.

#9 ShineFactor

ShineFactor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 11:12 PM

Uploaded rotation vid and posted skill build since she's one week away from us ! :)

Feel free to ask if you have any question regarding build

Edited by ShineFactor, 21 February 2017 - 01:07 AM.

#10 Noctaelius

Noctaelius

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 09:17 PM

i think that this is how black mara should be used http://www.bilibili....o/av8705551/?zw, he is using the xform like another dps skill, another reason why he used black mara this way it is because of her passive when he is transformed (Aftermath (Transformation Passive) Upon transforming, enemies take +20% damage - Duration, 15s.), he always maintain the bubble above 30 so he can xform faster.

Here you can see his Stats and build, and the reason why he choose that build and a couple of tips  http://bbs.duowan.co...457098-1-1.html

#11 twdyy

twdyy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 11:09 PM

I'm planning using this build in the coming next patch, is it okaay ?

Posted Image

#12 mytHero

mytHero

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 01:11 PM

Thanks for the insights. How would you compare black mara's dps in nest as compared to the other sorceress? Sally for example.

Is it noticeably higher, similar or noticeably lower?

I know there are many variables, gear, skill, party, nest. But let's just keep everything else constant for the sake of comparison.

Edited by mytHero, 21 February 2017 - 01:13 PM.

#13 ShineFactor

ShineFactor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 02:41 PM

Tbh, this isn't even something that crossed my mind as I am way more focused on her playstyle, no doubt mara can deal some big dmg but the thing is, you can't just compare sally and mara like this as they play completly differently, sally is very straightforward and easy to use whereas mara requires way more piloting skills and overall comprehension of the class itself on top of a playstyle that actually needs to suit the player (2 builds based on ebony spark A/B and haze A/B changing the way you might approach as a mara).

But if you're really that interested in numbers, take in account that most of her easy to use bnb (haze, turbulence, insult) have very good board dmg and kinda short cd, void coil's board dmg is also stating the actual dmg per hit, so you can have a slight idea of her dmg, but yah, the learning curve might be trouble for some as you need to switch between 2 playstyles at a fast rate to dps properly as a mara, on top of her climax truly achievable through setups that might be compromised against bosses with high mobility.

So just don't look for numbers or approximate dps yet, if you truly wanna give her a try, first get used to her and then you'll get an idea. :)

But for instance, you could think of sally and mara as defensio/ruina post revamp.

Edited by ShineFactor, 21 February 2017 - 02:53 PM.

#14 ShineFactor

ShineFactor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 02:51 AM

View Posttwdyy, on 20 February 2017 - 11:09 PM, said:

I'm planning using this build in the coming next patch, is it okaay ?

Posted Image

Sorry, didn't notice your post at all ! I would either get lv 6 entomb or change haze passive to B for double hit, as A haze will mostly be used to get you on the ground after right click ebony spark, A haze to truly benefit you should then be used with maxed A ebony spark

Do take note that getting A ebony spark will most likely interfere with some skills and directly trigger right click (nm black strike for instance)

@Nocraelius This is pretty much what I explained to Seraphimu and also showcasing it in my rotation vid :)

#15 Chenzuki

Chenzuki

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts
  • RatedG
  • DN, Westwood

Posted 25 February 2017 - 09:16 PM

Uhm
I want to create black Mara when it comes!
But
Is this class is worth to create?
I know it gives high DPS!
Does Black Mara have debuffs or any usefull skills?
Encourage mW pls!

#16 Sinfolion

Sinfolion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1894 posts
  • DN, Desmodeus
  • MysticClaN

Posted 27 February 2017 - 12:03 PM

View PostShineFactor, on 19 February 2017 - 01:05 PM, said:

You can find most informations on the link Zuyi posted, as for iframe :

Nightmare black strike (line drive) : one of my favorite skills, it has iframe during the teleport back part

Using EC during xform is much easier because you have many ways to cancel it, but don't just mindlessly spam EC while you're xformed despite the fact that's it's your biggest and fastest burst, because switching between the 2 forms makes inhale on cd, and you need to take advantage of cm2 cd reduction (5sec cd recovery for ulti/inhale each time main skill, EC excluded, hits the target, both in normal and BM form)

Insult (airborn skill, many projectiles) : 1ec per hit, your fastest way to acquire them, 15sec cd

Ebony spark A(flame spark) : additional hits gained with the A passive on the left click variation, up to 3 hits = 3 EC, 6sec cd

Haze : 2 hits, 1 EC each, haze isn't just a good dps skill, it's also your second tumble and one of your best iframe because of its cd

Few more stuffs :

As for plate choice, I'd definitely go for wraith form/smoke storm cd, but for the 2 other plates I don't know yet, maybe insult cd and  MP recovery plate due to wraith form's MP consumption ? (20k)

PS : made a rotation video in btg, I will post it as soon as it's uploaded

(tense)

#17 TresCommas

TresCommas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 10:28 PM

I'm loving my black mara so far. so refreshing

heres my skill build if anyone interested

https://dnskillsim.h...B0----0-00--0-0

#18 KusudamaKirigami

KusudamaKirigami

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1274 posts
  • Eirawen
  • DN, Westwood
  • HolyOrder

Posted 01 March 2017 - 09:27 AM

Is Entomb worth getting for a pure pve build?

#19 TresCommas

TresCommas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 06:34 PM

View PostKusudamaKirigami, on 01 March 2017 - 09:27 AM, said:

Is Entomb worth getting for a pure pve build?

imo, no.

#20 Reizo

Reizo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Alot of Bakas
  • DN, Westwood
  • Aresteia

Posted 02 March 2017 - 06:57 PM

I almost never remember to use Entomb :x The extra dps is nice though but I don't think it's worth the skill points that much.