jshak28

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • GaHiKOH
  • DN, Springwood
  • Salvatore

Posted 08 April 2017 - 12:15 PM

after clearing RuDN norm and knowing its mechanics, it seems that a full support tanker will be less valued than a semi-dps tank (destroyer) especially in hardcore with its insane time limit. almost all the mechs only requires you to be good at dodging and high dps. i am worried abwt this trend and i dun think the devs will do something about defining more the gameplay of a tanker class. fellow guardian mains, what are your opinions?

#2 Xenocho

Xenocho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3042 posts
  • Remmystarr
  • DN, Westwood
  • Loki / Eden

Posted 08 April 2017 - 12:44 PM

View Postjshak28, on 08 April 2017 - 12:15 PM, said:

after clearing RuDN norm and knowing its mechanics, it seems that a full support tanker will be less valued than a semi-dps tank (destroyer) especially in hardcore with its insane time limit. almost all the mechs only requires you to be good at dodging and high dps. i am worried abwt this trend and i dun think the devs will do something about defining more the gameplay of a tanker class. fellow guardian mains, what are your opinions?

Assuming that the party output increases by 1/8 by changing the 8th member to a tanker, it looks like a significant increase. However, consider the loss of DPS windows, such as S1 boss randomly targeting individuals and similarly in S3, resulting in DPS having do dodge more to reposition to avoid getting hit (which is more fatal in HC). Due to this disadvantage, that 12.5% DPS increase suddenly does not look very attractive.

Unless you are to say all members can dodge perfectly without mistake and without the need of the defensive shield, then perhaps it is warranted to say that a tank is not required. But I'm not sure if that's the case at this stage. Currently in HC, the death of 1 member prior to dragon is almost a sure fail already.

Edited by Xenocho, 08 April 2017 - 12:45 PM.

#3 jshak28

jshak28

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • GaHiKOH
  • DN, Springwood
  • Salvatore

Posted 08 April 2017 - 01:14 PM

I am not implying to replace the Tank with a DPS. I am more of comparing a Guardian and a Destroyer. Guardian's tanking skills are incomparable to others in exchange for well-average damage output while a Destroyer has a sub-par tanking skills with a higher damage output than a Guardian.

#4 Riuga

Riuga

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 849 posts
  • iRiuga
  • DN, Holywood
  • Programmers

Posted 08 April 2017 - 01:31 PM

The problem with Destroyer DPS is that their skills are clunky (slow and inflexible), and they have to tank at the same time. The damage in RuDN HC is so ridiculously high (I've been in there personally), it is not a wise decision to try and use %Damage Reduction skills and hope to survive. Destroyers who have been in HC at least once will probably favor good-old dodging and i-framing. You do not want to unnecessarily burden the healers with keeping you alive if you're being too reckless, as the healers must be ready to heal at a moment's notice. If something does not kill you immediately in HC, it will leave you at about 10% HP. People must be healed immediately as a result. I did mention that Destroyer skills are clunky by nature. Spamming these skills, on top of being the tank (meaning you get the honors of receiving more hits targeted at you by the bosses), in addition to the fact that HC hits like a bullet train, results in either killing yourself or burdening the healers. Therefore, Destroyers must be careful with when and where to cast their DPS skills. This limits their potential DPS. Lastly, don't forget that we both have to stack HP. The DPS from both classes are negligible if they both take HP-stacking seriously (I'm talking about 5m town and above).

Edited by Riuga, 08 April 2017 - 01:37 PM.

#5 Xenocho

Xenocho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3042 posts
  • Remmystarr
  • DN, Westwood
  • Loki / Eden

Posted 08 April 2017 - 01:43 PM

If I'm not wrong, bubbles are easier maintained and hence the egg shell is better maintained as a guardian. The destroyer and guardian debate has been going on forever but it has never been truly concluded that one is superior to another universally. Choices may be due to party buffs, Dps requirement from the tank (if not full idnL and fd, I doubt the party relies on them for Dps?) and so on. I can't elaborate fully as I don't play both classes but I share my experience running with my raid party.