#1 PawHammer

PawHammer

• 1138 posts
  • PawMimi
  • DN, Desmodeus
  • Dreamfarer

Posted 22 May 2017 - 04:28 PM

Post-revamp defensio[lvl 95 cap notes at the bottom]

Hello there! It's me, PawHammer (or Jasel Umena), from the Dragon Nest EU server. Most of you people will know me for being a forum moderator but, on top of that, I am also a very enthusiastic player. I do enjoy this game a lot and I play mostly for fun, but I too can try hard sometimes and make my way through endgame content (at the time of writing this guide, we are already speaking about post-revamp Defensio and I am preparing for RUDN's release!). I have been a tank player ever since I begun playing and my favourite aspect of gameplay is standing in front of the bosses' face and laugh at them while I block their attacks (what can I say? I started as a guardian!) but this guide involves a completely different class to your usual tank. Today, we'll be speaking about our fantastic paw-wielding friends.

BASICS:

Defensio is an AGI based class that gains attack power with that stat. It is a class that features the following advantages:
  • Easy access to crit cap due to it being an AGI based class.
  • Easy access to Final Damage due to it having 40% passive final damage that can be increased to 60% when buffs are up.
  • Extremely high defense values.
  • Great survivability.
  • Great mobility, both horizontal and vertical.
  • Decent to good damage depending on build and playstyle.
  • Good offensive party buff.
This class also features the following flaws:
  • Buggy class: some skills of hers have a certain random factor added to them due to the faulty way in which they've been programmed (see leap over or beyond the wall).
  • Peculiar gameplay: some people will find some of the possible playstyles boring or repetitive, or flat out complicated.
  • High learning curve: besides being the “easier” machina due to how forgiving this class is with mistakes and it being easy to perform a basic rotation, performance of this class is greatly affected by its pilot and their playstyle of choice.
  • Non elemental class: will have to deal with the conversion jade penalty. Not a huge disadvantage anyway.
  • Worst ultimate in the game: Will comment on this later.
SOME WORDS:

Defensio, let's be honest, is a cool looking class. A badass beast woman carrying a huge powerful knuckle gear that draws the enemies' attention to her in order to keep her teammates safe while blowing all of her foes up with the power of her main skill Taunting Blow. But before you consider taking this class on, you need to ask yourself if defensio is the right class for you. Want an independent, relatively easy class that deals a considerable ammount of damage and is very survivable? Or perhaps you want an agile, untouchable class that can deal with agro management with minimal risk? Can you focus under pressure and make decisions at the speed of sound? If you answered yes to the previous questions you probably will find defensio amusing and interesting to play (Yeah, definitely you are not playing this class for the free 60% final damage that will save you huge ammounts of gold in the future, why would you?).

BUILD:

Defensio is a very interesting class to play as once you get into its playstyle, and it's actually pretty fun to use. Her skill tree is, as non-awakened classes are, pretty much irrelevant as long as you have some core skills maxed. The spare sp can be then injected in utility skills, skills you like to use for the fun of it, or towards some sort of pvp hybrid freak build. Defensios can slightly modify their builds according to their prefered playstyle, so here's the basic skeleton build:

https://dnskillsim.h...--0---0--00--00

Spoiler
THE CLASS:

Now that you have some idea on how to build your own defensio (Ikea, is that you?), it would be cool if we spoke a little bit more about her skillset and her possibilities. Think of this section as a miscellaneous kind of thing, that will basically be my way of explaining all the good points of the class together with some “how to use X skill”.

Spoiler
THE PLAYSTYLE:

Ever since the revamp, there has been many new Defensio players appearing here and there. Many of them end up abandoning the class for various reasons, among them being the unintuitive playstyle. One would expect a class with such a name and classed as a tank to be one hell of an immovable rock that can simply stand at the face of the boss and take all the hits to her face without worrying about taking damage, but the fact is defensio is arguably squishy (lacks hp increase actives, damage reduction passives and only has an active 20% reduction on leap over and 100% on air shove). This means that if you are looking for a tank with huge reductions and more newbie-friendly, you'd be better playing a guardian or a destroyer. This does not at all mean defensio is useless though. Defensio's strength lies within her versatility. Capable defensio pilots who know the class well enough are capable of both outputting insane ammounts of damage, being unkillable main tanks or even doing both at once. The difference? Gear and playstyle.

Spoiler

ROTATION VIDEOS:

Spoiler

MAJOR BUGS:

Defensio is part of Dragon Nest, and a relatively new class soo bugs are to be expected. In Defensio's case, things can get pretty ridiculous sometimes, so here's what you can expect to find if you play her for long enough. NOTE: I am in no way encouraging you to attempt to use these bugs in your advantage, just informing you of those bugs that can have a noxious effect for your performance or have fun with.
Spoiler

TROUBLESHOOTING [WIP]:

Here's a small section where I will simply start writing about simple doubts one can have about the class in a Q/A way. Mostly irrelevant for people who are good Defensio players already, but might be useful for both non defensio players and newcomers to the class.

Spoiler

GENERAL TANKING TIPS:

After reading this guide, you'll probably end playing any of the styles mentioned above. No matter which one you pick, just due to the fact you are a tank class, it should be of interest to you to know some basics about tanking that will make your life and your party's easier. Here's some advice to follow while you are the person that has to take the agro (be it because you are the party's tank or because your party tank died and you have to assume the role).

Spoiler

Extra episode: 95 cap defensio and CM3

The arrival of 95 cap has brought us the introduction of Defensio's class mastery 3. If you are playing defensio as tank, or as a damaging tank, this CM3 is mostly irrelevant and features no utility, but it is not terrible.
Spoiler

95 Cap overall has not brought many changes to defensio, so everything you see in this guide still applies. If you follow the Offensio playstyle, you may want to try using CM3 as your damage dealing tool as opposed to normal taunting blow, to reduce your utility completely and maximize your damage by a tiny bit.

Builds wise, you can max lariat by leaving your gear steps at level 1, but level 12 or 16 lariat will allow you to keep your 93 cap build intact and have some spare sp to invest in other skills you like.

#2 PawHammer

PawHammer

• 1138 posts
  • PawMimi
  • DN, Desmodeus
  • Dreamfarer

Posted 22 May 2017 - 04:40 PM

Changelog (most recent first):

26-05-2017: Fixed a typo in the tanking defensio playstyle where I said leap over produced pellets, when I actually meant Air Shove. Started general tanking tips section.
24-05-2017: Added more bugs and more questions.
23-05-2017: Added community made video references, bug list, common questions.
26-07-2017: Added comments on CM3 and 95 cap.

#3 Jina

Jina

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 274 posts
  • DN, Desmodeus

Posted 23 May 2017 - 04:18 AM

Really good guide. Well done! There is not many Defensio or machina players in DN so it's nice to see someone write about one of them with passion. ^^ You are as passionate about that lovely girl like I am with Spirit Dancer. Keep up the great work!

#4 PawHammer

PawHammer

• 1138 posts
  • PawMimi
  • DN, Desmodeus
  • Dreamfarer

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:48 AM

View PostJina, on 23 May 2017 - 04:18 AM, said:

Really good guide. Well done! There is not many Defensio or machina players in DN so it's nice to see someone write about one of them with passion. ^^ You are as passionate about that lovely girl like I am with Spirit Dancer. Keep up the great work!

Well, I enjoy writing a lot, and been playing this class consistently since it was released, even through the period where she was outclassed by everything (aka 90 cap pre-revamp). Will be updating the guide with more stuff soon, including a changelog and other things so people can see when the last update was. The aim here is to throw some light in a class that not a lot of people know, so even if someone is not a defensio player, reading this guide can help them understand their potential better.

#5 Jakielyn

Jakielyn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:12 PM

Can't say I'm guilty about the recoil stuffs too. (;・∀・)=3.
"You can fly?!" "No, recoil good."
Convenient in some places too. ↶( ^*`ω´ ^ )Ψ
There's one wall that is Extra THICC and none shall pass it.
The wooden unbreakable gate on top of a Miasma Tentacle-like Wall from the Memory Fragment stage.

#6 Xenocho

Xenocho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts
  • Remmystarr
  • DN, Westwood
  • Loki / Eden

Posted 30 May 2017 - 01:22 PM

Hi Paw. Can you share some advice on applying BTW effectively on team-mates? If I'm not wrong, it's not 100% effective. My experience of ruina (prob months ago) observes that not everyone gets the buff.

Also, is it confirmed that the BTW shell's HP is based on the recipient's HP?

Edited by Xenocho, 30 May 2017 - 01:23 PM.

#7 rikolero

rikolero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3877 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 01:26 PM

Xenocho, on 30 May 2017 - 01:22 PM, said:

Hi Paw. Can you share some advice on applying BTW effectively on team-mates? If I'm not wrong, it's not 100% effective. My experience of ruina (prob months ago) observes that not everyone gets the buff.

The problem is, BTW has such a short range compared to HC and GF.

#8 Xenocho

Xenocho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts
  • Remmystarr
  • DN, Westwood
  • Loki / Eden

Posted 30 May 2017 - 01:34 PM

rikolero, on 30 May 2017 - 01:26 PM, said:

The problem is, BTW has such a short range compared to HC and GF.

What I experienced was that some near me didn't get it too. Any estimation of the max AoE of this skill?

#9 rikolero

rikolero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3877 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 01:54 PM

GF and HC is 10, so I guess 5?

I almost forgot, BTW has a bug. You can't blindly spam BTW. The second BTW will erase the barrier buff from the first BTW. Defensios need to actively check the buff duration of BTW, and let it lapse to cast another one.

If that bug is fixed (because I haven't played Defensio in a long time) then ignore this.

Edited by rikolero, 30 May 2017 - 02:02 PM.

#10 rikolero

rikolero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3877 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 08:50 PM

One more thing. What the BTW gives up on range, it makes up for the utility. BTW increases your DEF based on 40% of your ATK.
What remains to be seen is if the DEF increase is based on the caster or on the target. Because if it's based on the caster, it's imperative for even Full Tank Defensios to do their best to increase their ATK as well, unlike those two other tanks.

#11 PawHammer

PawHammer

• 1138 posts
  • PawMimi
  • DN, Desmodeus
  • Dreamfarer

Posted 30 May 2017 - 08:51 PM

Xenocho, on 30 May 2017 - 01:22 PM, said:

Also, is it confirmed that the BTW shell's HP is based on the recipient's HP?

Well, as a defensio player, I don't think BTW is a very effective mechanism to avoid damage on allies, as it's also used to debuff the boss and the cooldown is, annoyingly, equal to the duration (plate makes it so you have 2 seconds gap between buff and refreshing it).

The effectiveness of BTW in raid varies, as the way you apply it is indirectly telling you to insert it in your rotation for self-defense, but can be applied on others, definitely. The way you do it is staying on the boss' head and having your team on a side (like other tanks do). You can use any leaping skill to chain into beyond the wall, use the air dash to reach them and bounce back to your current position to land with beat down, as if you never moved. There's a few problems with this, however:

1) You rely on your teammates being stacked in a certain spot: Can be annoying for some classes like acrobats, or silver hunter, works good with lancers or clerics and is neutral to other classes.

2) Beyond the wall can fail: Yes, it has a chance to miss, and it seems to be related to your ping and the height and time at which you cast it, also your position in relation to nearby walls. Best way to cast it is to press it either straight away without the dash or letting the whole dash happen and press at the very second the smoke particle effect is gone. Anything before and after that second is unreliable and may result in the cast failing, letting you unable to bounce back, not applying any kind of shield or screw up the positioning of the boss' focus in relation to your teammates.

It's for this reason that I believe beyond the wall should be used to shield teammates only in case of emergencies or if you are certain that you will land it. Beyond the wall has an acceptable range and can get your whole party assuming they are not scattered all over the map, but it is not amazing.

As for BTW depending on the remaining HP of the receiver, it was suggested to me that I tried BDN challenge nest, that deals fixed damage (apparently) on low health. As it turns out, the less HP I had left, the less hits it took for it to break. May be a bug, or maybe it's intended who knows.

I will add the bugs described to the beyond the wall bugs too, forgot about BTW removing itself on the second cast because it very rarely happens to me, thanks for pointing that out.

Edit: No, beyond the wall's attack to defense bonus depends on the receiver as far as I'm aware. I can do further testing as well to double-check, but it's highly unlikely it would depend on the caster (because then, why the hell would you make the HP depend on the receiver?). Also, due to the genius that decided all classes would have high defense values with the new IDNL/RUDNL equipment, the utility of BTW as a party buff is pretty small.

#12 rikolero

rikolero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3877 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 09:01 PM

The BTW removing itself on the second cast is a visual bug. The eggshell visual buff disappears on the second cast but the buff is still there. It's just that annoying that you'll have to take a second look if you really have the BTW buff or not.

As for the ATK to DEF bonus depending on whoever, I dunno, the eggshell buff depends on the caster, so why not the ATK to DEF bonus too?

#13 PawHammer

PawHammer

• 1138 posts
  • PawMimi
  • DN, Desmodeus
  • Dreamfarer

Posted 30 May 2017 - 09:05 PM

rikolero, on 30 May 2017 - 09:01 PM, said:

the eggshell buff depends on the caster, so why not the ATK to DEF bonus too?

The eggshell does NOT depend on the caster, it's on the receiver's remaining HP, like old eggshells used to work.

#14 rikolero

rikolero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3877 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 09:12 PM

Hmmm. Is that the way for Defensios? Unlike those 2 other tanks it's based on the caster's HP.

#15 PawHammer

PawHammer

• 1138 posts
  • PawMimi
  • DN, Desmodeus
  • Dreamfarer

Posted 30 May 2017 - 09:37 PM

rikolero, on 30 May 2017 - 09:12 PM, said:

Hmmm. Is that the way for Defensios? Unlike those 2 other tanks it's based on the caster's HP.

Yep, if you check the patch notes since Defensio release, the way that bubble works never changed.

#16 rikolero

rikolero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3877 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 09:20 PM

Shame if it's never changed. IIRC, changes on the way bubble work on Destroyers and Guardians weren't stated in the patch notes; the players tested it themselves.

#17 Jakielyn

Jakielyn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 11:16 AM

In my observation, if someone probably has low HP/Vit, their HP goes to half when buffed at the right moment after a failed mechanic. Easier to test in PKN 1st stage and 3rd stage.
If someone has a better HP, it only makes a little to no damage at all.

I want to know is does BTW EX affect the ally getting their damage lowered by 20% as how Weapon Engraving works on them?

#18 PawHammer

PawHammer

• 1138 posts
  • PawMimi
  • DN, Desmodeus
  • Dreamfarer

Posted 02 June 2017 - 09:57 PM

View PostJakielyn, on 02 June 2017 - 11:16 AM, said:

In my observation, if someone probably has low HP/Vit, their HP goes to half when buffed at the right moment after a failed mechanic. Easier to test in PKN 1st stage and 3rd stage.
If someone has a better HP, it only makes a little to no damage at all.

I want to know is does BTW EX affect the ally getting their damage lowered by 20% as how Weapon Engraving works on them?

I do not understand the first half of this post, the second one is false, the -20% damage is the only thing that works well in beyond the wall, as in not affecting allies.

#19 Jakielyn

Jakielyn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 11:34 PM

Just low HP vs better HP in general.
PKN failed mechanic is just for test observation.

Either their HP goes to half with the buff on compared to someone that has higher HP.

While the debate was which Shields HP will depend on. Is it the caster or the buff receiver?
My point was the Shields HP will depend on the buff receiver.

#20 PawHammer

PawHammer

• 1138 posts
  • PawMimi
  • DN, Desmodeus
  • Dreamfarer

Posted 03 June 2017 - 12:06 AM

View PostJakielyn, on 02 June 2017 - 11:34 PM, said:

Just low HP vs better HP in general.
PKN failed mechanic is just for test observation.

Either their HP goes to half with the buff on compared to someone that has higher HP.

While the debate was which Shields HP will depend on. Is it the caster or the buff receiver?
My point was the Shields HP will depend on the buff receiver.

I still don't understand what the hell you mean, but the remaining HP of the receiver of the buff is the factor that determines how thick the shield will be. Example: If you have 1000 HP remaining, a shield will be 200 hp. If you have 100 hp remaining, the buff will be 20 hp. You can test this easily on black dragon challenge nest, where the damage is constant.

Apply a shield on your teammates and watch as the shield takes more hits when they are full hp than when they are low.