Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5549 posts
  • Bloomchild, etc.
  • DN, Greenwood
  • LuxAeterna/Servinity

Posted 12 June 2017 - 05:52 PM

Currently, there is a problem wherein users who attempt to log in to the game will encounter an "unknown error" characterized by a pop-up window and a message that says more or less "DN has encountered a problem and needs to close". After experiencing the problem myself and looking into similar cases, I've found out that some noted players with similar problems use Avast as their antivirus program, and the latest patch could have a weird interaction with updated versions of Avast.

The following fix should work on players that use Avast Free Antivirus, program version 17.4.2294 and virus definitions version 170611-0, and could work on commercial versions as well.

If you remembered to add the DN folder to your firewall exceptions AND the File System Shield exceptions, that's not enough to solve the problem. Add the DN folder to the exceptions for the Behavior Shield, and add the client file, autoupdate file and the launcher file to the exception in the Web Shield.

Based on a conversation on Discord, this should also work on other antivirus programs, like AVG.

Make sure the important DN exe files (client, autopatch, launcher) and the DN folder are added to ALL exceptions on your antivirus.

DN is very irritable towards antivirus programs, and whitelisting its files are what you need to keep it from complaining. Just don't forget to scan the folder if you're extra anxious about whitelisting.

#2 AmiDaMaRu

AmiDaMaRu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Kaen
  • DN, Springwood
  • SeaOfFlame

Posted 12 June 2017 - 09:28 PM

How long have you been experiencing this? I do use free avast for quite some time now, with the same version you have stated here. And it's like more than 2 weeks now that I'm experiencing dc issues at the loading screen most of the time.

I did experience the "DN has encountered a problem and needs to close" error when I reinstalled my DN (in the hopes of fixing the issue). But, I eventually fixed that error just by excluding it on the general settings menu.

Guess I shall see if your suggestions will work the same for my disconnection issue. Thanks for this.

#3 truedistance

truedistance

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5549 posts
  • Bloomchild, etc.
  • DN, Greenwood
  • LuxAeterna/Servinity

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:17 PM

Just now, when I finally patched my client. (The events nowadays were a turn off from playing.) I haven't done any major changes to my system aside from updating my antivirus and patching up whatever games I have.