Reflector

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1061 posts
  • TFudge/BTech/LStore
  • DN, Westwood

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:11 PM

Some scammers and tricksters use various techniques to get gold, items, or one’s account without even you knowing. Since these devious people have tricked many, let me share my knowledge about some of the techniques they use and how to counter them.

1. The Trade Window /Switch Item Scam
Scammers often perform this technique while you are trading them using the trade window (regular trading). While trading, they will try to distract you and they will try to change what they are trading to you, either gold or items. The worst position is that you will be the first one to deal with the scammer. Remember that in a trade, the first who deals might end up being scammed.

So to avoid this, make sure that you check the item/gold that is traded to you. It is also necessary not to rush a trade since rushing can make you miss some details, making the probability of being scammed go higher.

Note: Use the Trading House to avoid being scammed. If you reached max limit, try to mail/server transfer your items to a character who can sell your item (maybe an RH account, in which you have full control of).

2. CC/Point/DNP to Gold and Vice Versa
This is a type of trade often illegal/banned by the management, since many have been scammed by this. As said in item 1, it is mostly the one who deals first (mostly the buyer of CC/DNP) ends up to be scammed. As a warning, do not ever perform this kind of trade unless you really know that person and you can make sure that he/she is a trusted trader.

3. The “Forcing” Effect
This method often occurs unknowingly since you do not know if you are under the trick or not. This method forces you to buy items that you may think you can "Buy and Sell". This often occurs when one sees a shout out /world chat of one character saying he/she is buying one item for an expensive price/above the ASP (average selling price). If you are buy and selling, you will try to buy that item at a lower price then sell it to that person only to find out that he/she only pretended to buy that item. Most likely, you might have bought that item from his/her vendor.
****Ex. You see someone buying a giant wing for 80k DNP, then you see one being sold at 70k. Then you might try to buy that 70k DNP wing to sell it to the person buying it at 80k only to find out that he isn't a serious buyer.

(If you are trying "Buy and Sell" technique, usually try to check the Trading House and not the price of who buys it for the average price of the item (since items are usually bought at the average price). If an item is lower than the average price, you can buy and sell it later for a higher price)

Another version of this is when a vendor advertises a fake item. Example of this is when a vendor sells a "Wish orb" trying to convince you that it increases your luck......which it doesn't.

4. Scam sites and Hack programs
Have you ever noticed someone shouting/advertising a website that says you can get a too good to be true free item just by logging in at that site? Or maybe someone offering an OP hack just by downloading it? Don’t trust them because these programs mostly have the purpose of gathering username and passwords which are coded in the program/website then sends these info to a specific account and there these people who created this programs/websites can see your account info and then they can freely log in your account.

To avoid this, just don’t visit any suspicious websites which are being shared by other players just to acquire too good to be true item. Make sure that this website is not a scam site by asking trusted people like GMs or FMs .........because it is not bad to ask, right?

Also, check the domain. Most scam websites have weebly in their domain. And also scam sites do not correlate with the original site.  

Also, don’t trust any program w/c are not 100% safe. And also, just an advice, do not use hack programs or else you might be banned.

5. The “I Know You” scam
Some swindlers may pretend to be one of friends or someone you know and try to ask/borrow  items or money from you. To avoid this, just do not believe when someone say they know you because they might have gotten information about you from other resources.

6. The “I am a girl” trick
   Some men pretend to be a girl in order to trick other men for items. However, some girls (real ones) also try to actually scam men in giving their item to the girl. To avoid this, just do not give in to temptation so easily. Ya, dats it.

7. Guild Scam

2 Types:

1) A GUILD scams a new member by forcing him/her to pay entrance fees then kick him/her afterwards. One can avoid it by being informed on what guild to join.

2) A GUILD MEMBER scams a guild by earning the trust of the guild but then suddenly takes items/information from the guild and leaves. This can be avoided by the guild master not letting anyone except those really close to him to access the guild lockers and higher authority/position in the guild (such as VGM or SGM). If you get to appoint VGM or SGM because of guild regulations just make sure to limit their power especially the access of guild lockers.

8. Party System Scam
  Mostly at nests, some people(mostly with pets) will try to create a party, which has a free for all looting and disabled dice roll (meaning rolling the dice for items is disabled for some rarity). Some who joins the party might not notice this until the time that the nest run is over and the party leader may get the rare items due to this setup. To avoid this, just simply check your party status and be sure that it is not set to Free for All.

9. Pretending to be a GM Scam
This scam is done by impersonating a GM or any high level member of the industry. It can be also done by sending fake warning message that your account is banned/compromised and it will take your personal info to release your account.

To avoid being scammed, just put it in mind that GMs never ask for your account's full info. Also check the forum/official pages of GMs and also the official game page for announcements and the like.
                       Be also informed that cherrycredits has a messenger that can be used to contact the management in case of a real account compromise.

10. "Can I Borrow _____ from you?" Scam
   Don't let anyone borrow your item or gold for some reason except of-course you can approach that person personally.

11. Trades through Gift System
Don't trade with players who sell CC items through gift since it is not that reliable and since not all CC items can be traded by gifts

12. Social Engineering
A person can get information from you via psychological manipulation. Be wary of who you talk with and who you add in Facebook (especially someone your in group pages for your guild). If a person tries to ask confidential questions about you (such as when is your birthday, your favorite food or the like) in a manner that feels like interrogation then that person might try to get information out of you to hack your account.
** Note: Also keep your personal info, especially in social networking sites, hidden even from friends....since most people make their username or passwords out of them.

13. Account Trading/Selling Scam
Don't trade or buy accounts as much as possible. Accounts can be recovered by the original owner provided he/she has CC and personal information and proof that he/she owns the account.

14. Boost/Like and Other Service Scam
                            Scams like this happens when the client or the service provider don't do their part of the deal. In this case be sure to negotiate the terms in your favor. Make sure the conditions are not in your disadvantage. Ex. If you will boost someone, ask for advance payment/installment before you boost them.
                            Also be patient during a service especially if one side disconnects. He/she may just encountered an error.

-"So to sum this up, you just got to be doubtful of everything."

Edited by Reflector, 24 August 2016 - 12:49 AM.

#2 NDReal

NDReal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:12 PM

DAFUQ IS DIS PILE OF STEAMING SH1T?

#3 Reflector

Reflector

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1061 posts
  • TFudge/BTech/LStore
  • DN, Westwood

w8 edit, somethings wrong with my browser

#4 wrecktify

wrecktify

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 819 posts

Behold!

A wall of text!

lol

#5 Mereshemesh

Mereshemesh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:13 PM

Oh my God, nice intention but damn wall of text it makes me dizzy!

#6 iMentos

iMentos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:14 PM

WT;DR

crazy

#7 wrecktify

wrecktify

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:15 PM

I loled..

Sorry TS..

#8 Danaia

Danaia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7084 posts
  • Danaia | Shanaia
  • DN, Westwood
  • Veisla

oh my a wall of text

anyway, to avoid scam... i only do one thing.

put it in trading hall.

nuff said.

#9 FlamingTaco

FlamingTaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8503 posts
  • TannedTako
  • DN, Springwood
  • Onigiri

WTL;DR

oh by the way im back...

#10 Reflector

Reflector

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1061 posts
  • TFudge/BTech/LStore
  • DN, Westwood

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:16 PM

W8, i shall repost this, damn this webpage loading. :)

#11 SuperNatsu

SuperNatsu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 327 posts
  • SuperNatsu
  • DN, Desmodeus
  • 2nd Platoon

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:17 PM

i wonder if anyone read this hahaha

not me ^^,

#12 Reflector

Reflector

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1061 posts
  • TFudge/BTech/LStore
  • DN, Westwood

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:18 PM

do not read this yet, i shall repost this later.

#13 cherry178613

cherry178613

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:19 PM

Reflector, on 2011-12-09 14:11:14, said:

Some scammers and tricksters use various techniques to get gold, items, or one’s account without even you knowing. Since these devious people have tricked many, let me share my knowledge about some of the techniques they use and how to counter them.

1.The Trade Window Scam - Scammers often perform this technique while you are trading them using the trade window (regular trading). While trading, they will try to distract you and they will try to change what they are trading to you, either gold or items. The worst position is that you will be the first one to deal with the scammer. Remember that in a trade, the first who deals might end up being scammed and scammers mostly try to take the place of being the buyer since gold is easier to change than items.

So to avoid this, make sure that you check the item/gold that is traded to you is right and make sure that he/she will deal first (especially if you think he/she is a scammer and if you are a seller of item). It is also necessary not to rush a trade since rushing can make you miss some details, making the probability of being scammed higher. However if one rushes you to trade it is not most likely that he/she is a scammer but maybe he/she is renting a pc. Just be moderate in trading so that you will not waste time and you can make sure no one can swindle you.

2. The Trade Glitch Mostly, this occurs unknowingly and not intended or when new patch arrives. To deal with this, try to print screen every transaction you do and when bug or glitches occur while trading. You can show evidences to the technical section of the forum and GM/FM and forum members alike can do something to solve that issue.

3. CC/Point to Gold and Vice Versa This is a critical type of trade, often illegal/banned by the management, since many have been scammed by this. As said in item 1, the one who deals first mostly ends up to be scammed. As a warning, do not ever perform this kind of trade unless you really know that person and you can make sure that he/she will not swindle you.

4. The “Forcing” Effect This method often occurs unknowingly since you do not know if you are under the trick or not. This method forces you to buy items that you do not really need. This often occurs when one sees a shout out of one character saying he/she is buying one item for an expensive price/above the ASP (average selling price). Then as an impulse, you will try to buy that item at a lower price then sell it to that person only to find out that he/she only pretended to buy that item.

Most likely, you might have bought that item from his/her vendor. Another version of this is when a vendor advertises a fake item. Example of this is when a vendor sells a wing, shows his/her costume to you, then sells you bat wings which can be looted at low lvl dungeons and only intended to be sold at npc’s.

To avoid being swindled using this technique, try to check/inquire that item so that you will know how that item works and is it worth buying or selling. Also, do not be tricked by flashy words used to attract buyers/sellers. Be vigilant and try to make sure that you have a sure seller/buyer.

5. Scam sites and Hack programs Have you ever noticed someone shouting/advertising a website that says you can get a free item just by logging in at that site? Or maybe someone offering a hack just by downloading it? Don’t trust them because these programs mostly have the purpose of gathering username and passwords which are inputted in the program/website then sending these info to a specific destination and there these people who created this programs/websites can freely log in your account. Boo hoo, you’ve just been hack.

To avoid this, just don’t visit any websites which are just being shared just to acquire an item. Make sure that this website is not a scam site by asking other people because it is not bad to ask, right? Also, don’t trust any program w/c are not 100% safe. And also, just an advice, do not use hack programs or else you might be banned.

6. The “I Know You” scam Some swindlers may pretend to be one of friends or someone you know and try to ask/borrow items or money from you. To avoid this, just do not believe when someone say they know you because they might have gotten information about you from other resources. Remember that you cannot trust anybody but yourself.

7. The “I am a girl” trick This type of trick usually occurs at the forums or at the chat rooms. Some men pretend to be a girl in order to trick other men for items. However, some girls (real ones) also try to actually scam men in giving their item to the girl. To avoid this, just do not give in to temptation so easily. Is it that necessary to give items to a girl just to gain her trust? Of course, you know the answer. If not, ask a real woman.

8. Guild Scam This usually occurs on a new recruit in a guild, especially those popular guilds. Some senior members or even the GL (Guild Leader) tries to borrow some items from the new recruit and when it successfully happens, the new recruit is kicked out of the guild. To avoid this, just do not lend any items to someone you do not know. Remember, it is not important how popular the guild you are joining if its members are just scammers.

9. FFA (Free for All) Looting System This is not literally a scam but I see most people being deceived by this. Mostly at nests, some people try to create a party, which has a free for all looting system. Some who joins the party might not notice this until the time that the nest run is over and the party leader got all the rare items due to his “looting fever”. To avoid this, just simply check your party status and be sure that if it is FFA, just be the first to loot the items so that the party leader of yours will feel humiliated  There are more tricks, which exist around the world, and if you experience this tricks, now you may know now how to counter them. If you know some more tricks and how to counter them, feel free to comment below.

AND PLEASE, NO TROLLS ALLOWED (If you are one, just go to a mental facility and cure yourself of lacking attention)

Fixed. Prolly copy and pasted. Discrepancy between grammar and paragraphing doesn't make sense.

#14 Scrunity

Scrunity

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Scrunity
  • DN, Greenwood
  • Lv. 60 Barbarian

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:19 PM

my eye hurts just by reading the first line sob

#15 Reflector

Reflector

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1061 posts
  • TFudge/BTech/LStore
  • DN, Westwood

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:20 PM

ok, thats fine now. my web browser have been filled with cookies that is why i couldn't load it properly. 

#16 Reflector

Reflector

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1061 posts
  • TFudge/BTech/LStore
  • DN, Westwood

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:22 PM

Sorry about that eye hurting part

#17 Sonatta

Sonatta

Extraordinary Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14252 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:23 PM

tense  Summary

Use the TH and the forum marketplace.  Trading in-game is risky.  

#18 a3r0wind

a3r0wind

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:50 PM

Can brief more of the Trade Glitch what kind of Glitch is it?

#19 Reflector

Reflector

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1061 posts
  • TFudge/BTech/LStore
  • DN, Westwood

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:55 PM

trade glitch example : I have seen reports about someone buying blue crusader costume then it became another costume after buying it. Also there are some reports about items being changed even though the trade is done properly.

#20 Danaia

Danaia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7084 posts
  • Danaia | Shanaia
  • DN, Westwood
  • Veisla

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:57 PM

that's why we have the trading house.

'are you okay to buy in TH?' <-- first thing i ask to a prospect buyer. if he says 'no'. then i don't trade. 

i dun care if they say i have trust issues or whatsoever. i've never been scammed.upcool